Verizon and the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zmanhoops, Jun 22, 2010.

1. zmanhoops macrumors newbie

Interesting story I thought I would pass along for all those who want Verizon to carry the iPhone so bad...

My girlfriend is currently on Verizon and was having trouble with her phone so had to take it in. Anyways, the guy who was helping her was talking down to her so she asked him if he thought Verizon would be getting the iPhone.. his respone: "No, we don't need it we have the HTC incredible which is far better than the iPhone and our network will make AT&T's network obsolete in a few years."

I know this is just one guys opinion, but honestly AT&T's customer service has always been great for me, even when I've had trouble with their network. Call me old-fashioned, but I'd much rather be with a company with decent network service but with respect for their customers....

2. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

This is great!!! I love the swinging gate on this. First, it's we will be getting soon. Now, it's we don't need it.

Meanwhile, friends of mine on verizon with just multimedia phones are starting to report dropped calls and the like. I think the network is starting to feel th load with all the android devices. Next few months should be interesting.

3. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

can you hear me now????

att will exist as long as it has the iphone. as soon as it's opened up they will be forced to improve or be eaten as Darwin intended

4. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

hahah att is more advance by far. at least they dont use crappy cmda

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He's right and wrong. The Incredible (or just about any Android phone for that matter) is better than the iPhone but their network isn't going to make AT&T's network obsolete. That's just retarded.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He sounded like a moron.
    Any customer rep that talks down to you like that should be fired.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

8. WHM macrumors regular

Just my own opinion... VERIZON will never get the iphone. It seems to me to make a platform that only the USA uses would be a bad business decision. I have been an A.T.&T. customer long before the iPhone and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact I left VERIZON for Cingular(which was purchased by A.T.&T.) because my service with VERIZON was so bad. It all depends on where you live

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    On Verizon, voice and data are on separate channels. More data users on a tower will not cause voice users to drop, as happens with AT&T's combined voice+data 3G.

More Verizon voice users can drop other voice users, and more data users can cause other data users to slow down.

10. zmanhoops thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't care if they get it or not. Like I said, I'm old school and was raised to treat people with respect, especially your customers...

11. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Hahaha here we go again. I'll just toss these comments out:

Verizon reps don't know sh*t about what they will be getting and what they won't. Do not put any stock whatsoever in the comments of a carrier rep.

Verizon reps have a hard-on for their products and their network to the point of being blind. I had one recently tell me that the Android has a more intuitive UI than an iPhone. He was really worked up about it. Whatever. I think Verizon drugs their employees.

No one, repeat no one, outside of Apple or Verizon senior management knows if or when Verizon is getting the iPhone. The rumors are getting stronger that it will happen this fall, and I lean towards yes, but the reality is that Steve Jobs is probably still negotiating with them and hedging his bets, and it could still go either way depending on how those negotiations go. Negotiations are a game of leverage, and time is a major tool in any negotiations. Good negotiators hold out to the 11th hour to reach a final agreement. We aren't there yet.

12. Centient macrumors 6502

It's too bad about your GF experience. I was a VZ customer for years and I always had excellent service whenever I dealt with anyone there. If she likes VZ, but feels disrespected by the CS, then perhaps she ought to speak to someone about her experience with him.

As far as the iPhone on VZ goes. It's unlikely this guy knows anything more about it than you or I do. I do know that many places were reporting that some Taiwanese (I believe) company was supposed to be working on a CDMA iPhone proto-type. If true, I'd be very surprised if it was some type of Sprint exclusive model.

13. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

AT&T will exist iPhone or no iPhone. They are the dominate player when it comes to having the largest number of phones, from the most manufacturers to choose from. Always have, always will. It's just a fact. I'm not advocating for them.

I use BOTH... Verizon _and_ AT&T for the sole purpose of having GSM & CDMA smartphones to enjoy. AT&T is preloading the second half of this year with quite a few new HTC, Motorola, and Samsung Android phones. Along with the upgrade to the network that is 90% completed, they will have lots of choices for the holidays.

14. Regul8tR macrumors member

Regul8tR

Negotiations indeed. The two main disputes: (1) Verizon want to be able to restrict features from users unless they pay for the service. (2) and i think the most notable; Verizon only wants their iPhone users to be able to buy apps from the Verizon app store NOT the apple app store.

Number two in my book will NEVER happen

15. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Those are arguments from 2008. No one in their right mind still believes that Verizon is going to impose their own app store on the iPhone. That would be business suicide. It would kill the appeal of the phone.

No, it's all about money now. Subsidies in particular.

16. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I couldn't agree more. I've been a member for ten years now and have had positive experiences with them. When I purchased my first iPhone 3G when it was released, the data plan wasn't added on somehow. My bill was $1,750. I contacted them and they sounded sincerely apologetic and fixed my problems quickly. I have experienced quiet a few dropped calls; living near San Francisco where there appears to be the most problems, along with New York. I'll remain a loyal AT&T customer as long as their quality is sufficient.

17. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

Every company has morons. Verizon has idiots who work there. So does AT&T. What does that have to do with the quality of Verizon? I've never used another network. It's been great for me. I refuse to get an iPhone until it's on Verizon. It's been that good for me.

18. stohr macrumors member

Verizon CS sucks. when i still had verizon, I brought in my basic multimedia phone to get fixed, and I was told to come back in an hour. When I picked up the phone and brought it home, I found a file on my memory card from a backberry. It turned out the Verizon "Tech" transferred a bunch of my pictures to his personal blackberry. He ended up getting fired for it :D

19. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Not only are you saying the Incredible is better, but you're also saying that just about ANY android phone is better than the iPhone..... Are you Hellen Keller? Why don't you do yourself a favor and check out some of the reviews for the iPhone 4 from Engaget and Nytimes. The links are in the homepage.

You've gotta love ignorance folks. Gotta love it. Ladies and Gentlemen, Give it up for the Android Fanboy of the Day.

20. Godzirra! macrumors regular

Godzirra!

One customer service agent doesn't speak for the company. Sound like he was trying to sell a phone and not a promise.

21. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

verizon and that customer service rep can lick the hairs on my testicles.

.....and this is coming from a current VZW customer, soon to be defected to at&t

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What are you doing in the iphone section then? :D

23. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

lmfao +1