Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fleetboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I'm curious what your response is to the upcoming $5 increase for cellular service on the Apple Watch.

My wife and I are retired and I like(d) having the autonomous service on our watches in case something happens and we don't have our phone close by.

Before the increase the monthly cost was $15 including fees and surcharges for each watch (arguably too expensive to begin with), so after the increase it'd be over $20/ea, or $40+ for the two of us. That's $480/year. Yikes!

Adding this right on top of the recent phone service increase is just too much and I was forced to cancel service on both watches.

What are your thoughts about this, and if you currently have cellular service are you keeping it or giving it up?

Reactions: Saturn007

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Actually it's $10, at least on my T-Mobile Plan.

Switch to T-Mobile, I just did after 15+ years with VZ, I think watch is $5

You might want to consider switching to another carrier. Consumer Cellular has plans tailored for the "mature" customer. With low usage you can save a bundle if their network is good where you need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saturn007

Fleetboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
I checked out Consumer Cellular and they do indeed have plans (for everyone - not only us old folks) which are much less costly than Verizon - for about 1/2 as much as we're paying now. And their watch service is only $5/mo.

The only issue is they use AT&T towers. And back in 2018 when we had AT&T, coverage wasn't very good in our area. But it could be better now so that will need some research.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Go to visi
I'm curious what your response is to the upcoming $5 increase for cellular service on the Apple Watch.

My wife and I are retired and I like(d) having the autonomous service on our watches in case something happens and we don't have our phone close by.

Before the increase the monthly cost was $15 including fees and surcharges for each watch (arguably too expensive to begin with), so after the increase it'd be over $20/ea, or $40+ for the two of us. That's $480/year. Yikes!

Adding this right on top of the recent phone service increase is just too much and I was forced to cancel service on both watches.

What are your thoughts about this, and if you currently have cellular service are you keeping it or giving it up?
Go to visible. It’s 25 for the service and 5 dollars for the watch plan. It’s owned by Verizon.

mxxii

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2019
Visible is the way to go if you’re using Verizon towers. My wife and I saved $400 a year by switching from Verizon to Visible and the service is just as good.

Fleetboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for the heads-up on Visible.

They currently offer a $25/mo plan (add an additional $10 for a watch), or a $45/mo plan that includes the watch, faster data, and some other perks. Both prices include all surcharges, fees, taxes.

I changed our phones over to the $45 plans and am saving something around $60/mo. Performance appears to be exactly the same as the Verizon service....and apparently is the same Verizon infrastructure/equipment.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I helped my friend switch. Gave her all the pros and cons of visible. She was paying $70 I think for AT&T. It’s not perfect visible but it has been great to me for the past 5 years

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Thanks for the heads-up on Visible.

They currently offer a $25/mo plan (add an additional $10 for a watch), or a $45/mo plan that includes the watch, faster data, and some other perks. Both prices include all surcharges, fees, taxes.

I changed our phones over to the $45 plans and am saving something around $60/mo. Performance appears to be exactly the same as the Verizon service....and apparently is the same Verizon infrastructure/equipment.
Take a look at the annual payment, it brings the $45 plan to something like $33 a month. The network is Verizon, just like you had before but without any extras you may have never used anyhow.

Fleetboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2012
Take a look at the annual payment, it brings the $45 plan to something like $33 a month. The network is Verizon, just like you had before but without any extras you may have never used anyhow.
It appears you can elect to do the annual thing whenever you want, so if all goes well for a couple of months I might just buy in. So far so good.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It appears you can elect to do the annual thing whenever you want, so if all goes well for a couple of months I might just buy in. So far so good.
Good luck. It’s been great for me. It’s my second line with AT&T and its nice having both services so I have a very high likelihood of getting a connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.