Verizon Asked "Keep 4g sim?"...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by morecowbell, Sep 12, 2014.

1. morecowbell macrumors regular

2. Mr.Gene macrumors member

3. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

My ASSUMPTION was that they asked you this question if you wanted to keep your 4 SIM card active. I have no need for it once I get this new phone, so I said "No".

Now I'm on the phone with VZ hoping I didn't do something wrong LOL

4. leftofseinfeld macrumors newbie

I said yes as well but have no idea what it means.

5. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I assumed it meant do you want to reuse your existing SIM card or have them send a new one with the phone. I chose "no" so I get a fresh card. Hopefully that was ok...

6. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

That's precisely what I thought as well...

7. MDDUCKMAN macrumors newbie

I did the exact same thing....

8. Court tonic macrumors member

Court tonic

Yeah, this will save you time with the activation process as well. All you will have to do is pop in your current SIM card and do the *228, rather then go on the website/call to activate a new sim to your number. I'm glad they are finally offering this, it's a pain to register a new sim every time.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

I kept my same sim going from 5 to 5S and kept the same with the 6. All you have to do if you keep the same sim, is put it in the 6, and turn it on. No need to jump through the activation hoops.

----------

You don't have to do the *228. Just put the old sim in the 6 and turn on. Voila, activated. And if you keep your old phone and want to use it, just swap back, and it's ready to go. Always keep your old sim if you can.

10. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Makes sense. I don't foresee it being a problem either way. Looking at my order confirmation, below the price it says "with 2-year contract, with SIM card". I imagine those of you that chose "yes" it says "no SIM card" or it's blank.

11. Court tonic macrumors member

Court tonic

You can still do the *228 if you like because that is how it registers the phone on the account, in the past if I haven't done that it remains saying I'm using my old phone. Which really isn't a big deal either way so I'm so glad Verizon is now in the SIM card game! Changing phones is so easy!

12. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

Doesn't the whole activation process for a new SIM take all of about 20 seconds?

13. wxman2003 Suspended

Yep. Not really time consuming either way.

14. h413913 macrumors newbie

I got this question as well and chose "yes" to keep the SIM.

However, I noticed that Verizon now has a FAQ page for "NFC SE SIM Cards." Apparently the NFC SE (Near Field Communication Secure Element) SIM card is a special SIM card for NFC-capable 4G LTE devices.

So, will the SIM card from my iPhone 5 allow me to use all of the features on the iPhone 6? Or does the iPhone 6 require one of these new cards?

15. IndyBob macrumors member

IndyBob

I did see this on the Apple Site:

SIM card
    Nano-SIM
    iPhone 6 is not compatible with existing micro‑SIM cards

16. h413913 macrumors newbie

Any idea why Verizon would ask this question then?

17. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I kept my old sim on my 5s. Saves me the trouble, and I didn't want them to assume that I also meant I wanted to drop my UDP.

18. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

If it turns out that the SIM from our current devices is not compatible with NFC capabilities, this is going to be a massive problem. I can't imagine how many millions of people would need to order a new SIM and the backlog that would ensue.

Here's to hoping Verizon didn't screw the pooch.

19. patt2k macrumors regular

You were asked.

Do you want to keep same sim card yes or no, if you had iphone 5,5c,5s you should select test if you had 4S then no.

Hope this helps.

20. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I hope, but I also doubt this is the case. I think if it were a brand new SIM requirement, it would be widely known and Verizon and AT&T would have just included it automatically without option.

21. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I said no to get a new SIM, I'd rather be safe than sorry in case something wasn't compatible! :apple:

22. justinTlME macrumors 6502

justinTlME

ditto

23. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

It really doesn't matter if you get a SIM or not as long already have a nano SIM. I got a new one because why not?

24. IlliniGuy76 macrumors regular

I have a 5, and wanted a new SIM card for this new iPhone 6. I'll be just fine taking the 20 seconds to activate the new SIM on my new phone.