Verizon >> AT&T Premier (Fan) Account Preorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjrulli, Jun 13, 2010.

1. cjrulli macrumors regular

I will be switching to AT&T from Verizon for the iPhone 4. I will not be porting my number, but how will preordering work?

Will I just log into the Premier site and setup an account with an iPhone 4?
    Does AT&T have to verify with my school somehow that I'm currently a student? If so how long does that usually take? Will I legitimately be able to expect my iPhone one the 24th or 25th if I preorder through AT&T?

2. kyleaa macrumors regular

If you want to be sure to get it on launch day either go with an AT&T store, or buy the phone from apple and go to AT&T later to get the discount added on - your FAN may be eligible for a waived activation fee though that you would miss this way.

3. agoat macrumors regular

You could log into your premier account to preorder on the 15th. I am in similar situation, The online rep and instore att rep told me I as long as I have the email you can sign up for premier. Except I preorder through att website to get this weekend waived activation fees with a family plan and preorder the iphone on the 15th with a new add in line. Then I would have to convert my account to FAN later. There no check online for premier unless you went instore.

4. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just a quick reminder that you should check that you can add-a-line to your FamilyTalk plan using Premier today because you might see the following message on Tuesday when you try to add a line.

Your account type and/or rate plan does not allow you to add a line to a group plan. To make changes to your plan, call Premier Support at 1-800-331-0500.

Add-a-line can be tricky on AT&T and Apple's Online Store does not allow you to do an add-a-line to a FamilyTalk plan. You will be directed to the "Make a Reservation" page.

Here is the relevant Apple message:

If you’d like to add an additional line to your account, please visit your nearest Apple Retail Store where you can complete your pre-authorization.
    Dave

5. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am doing something similar, I am switching from T-mobile to AT&T, but I will be porting my number, and setting up a new account with a student discount.

So is my best option to go to the AT&T premier site on the 15th and just have it delivered to my home? What about the number porting? I need to be able to use my current phone until the 24th when I get the new iPhone so I can't have the number cancel before then...

What is my best option? I have that day off, and would rather go pick it up, but apparently you can't pick up preorders through AT&T until the 25th...

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

If you have an Apple store and you want to wait in line, they can help you do everything on June 24. When you leave the store, your number will be in the porting process and you should be able to make outgoing calls before you leave the store. Inbound call routing will take a little longer due to the porting volume expected. :D

You can always add the FAN to your account after it is setup, you have 30 days and here is a link with the starting point to complete it all online if you have an email address from within your school.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/authenticate/

Dave

7. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

How long does the FAN take to kick in though?

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Mine took a few weeks to show on my account.

9. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

One more question, when I set it all up on the 15th do they withdrawl any money right than and there? or not until it ships?

10. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

I am also switching from Verizon to AT&T but Im porting my line only. The best way to do this and get your FAN discount from day one is to order directly through the Premier site. When I log into the Premier site through the email they sent to my work email address, I can sign up for it right there and get the discount on the voice and the data plan right away.

11. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I'm a little confused. Hopefully, somebody can help? I have a discount at AT&T, but it is only applied to my voice plan, not to texting, data, activation fees or anything like that. I have a personal account. Is this a FAN discount? When I signed up for AT&T they asked where I worked, I told them and they told me I could get 15% off my voice plan monthly because they offered it to my works employees. So, can I not pre-order an iPhone through Apple.com? Or is this just a discount, not a true FAN account?