Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I was trying to send a picture message to my wife's Verizon phone today via the workaround of sending an email to <hernumber>@vzwpix.com, which I've done in the past (although not very reliably), and it bounces back with a message saying that banned text was detected in the header! WTF! I assume the mail client on the iPhone has an identifying header in it (I didn't send any text, jsut a pic, so it wasn't in the body). I did it again to check, and got the same exact message. Check out the bounce message:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<xxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com>
(reason: 550 SMTP connection refused - Banned text appeared in header or body: 'EtGu')

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to smtp.vzwpix.com.:
DATA
<<< 550 SMTP connection refused - Banned text appeared in header or body: 'EtGu'
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
Reporting-MTA: dns; smtpoutm.mac.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; asmtp009-s
Arrival-Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:10:00 -0800 (PST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; smtp.vzwpix.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 SMTP connection refused - Banned text appeared in header or body: 'EtGu'
Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:13:55 -0800 (PST)

I sure hope MMS gets added with 1.1.3... :rolleyes:

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I opened a case with verizon to see what's happening. The verizon tech gave me her cell number and had me send a pic to her to see if the same thing happens (which it did, although the "banned text" was slightly different). They're gonna check into it and call me back. Hopefully this is just something screwy with the services on my wife's phone and not something bigger.

gara56

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I'm having the same problem with VZWPIX on my verizon phone. I can send pics from my phone to my email address, but I can't send anything to my number at vzwpix.com. I have a ticket in the system as well. Everything worked nicely a couple days again and now I get nothing. All the emails come back with the same info you listed in your post. :mad:

ginopio

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Hey,

Saw your thread...I've been fighting Verizon since Nov 16, 2007 over this same issue. They cleared the banned message reply; however they have now updated their filters to not allow any attached pics or mp3s.

This currently affects any outside email providers(Comcast, Yahoo, AOL, Gmail) and the only way Verizon will investigate is if the pics are not going through. The NRB dept has a ticket opened up for this, which is NRB000002063786.

I have asked and received credits for this Service not working. You should do the same. This would get fixed if everyone asked for credits. Verizon believes if no one complains they don't need to fix it.

Gino (ginopio@comcast.net)

Bill-and-Beth

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
Bad Bad Bad Banned Words

Hello - Now isn't this a bunch of hooey! I have had the same problem you folks have been experiencing. There are apparently a number of individual words that Verizon feels should be BANNED and which prevent messages from being delivered from a computer to a cell phone via vzwpix (MMS) email addresses. The only way we seem to be able to find out what these BAD BAD BAD words are is to email a message and then wait to see if it gets delivered or not. Only rarely does my ISP return a message which explains why the "SMTP connection was refused" - but through a process of elimination I have been able to confirm that you cannot send a message which contains the words FRIEND - WATCH - PLEASURE - or REPLACE. What seems odd to me is that until I recently changed my cell phone number I was receiving almost daily spam MMS emails from all over the globe with ENTIRE MESSAGES THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BANNED. The only way to eliminate these nasty and bothersome messages (Verizon told me) would be to change my number! It sure is difficult for me to understand why Verizon can block messages containing a single BAD BAD BAD word (like "watch" or "friend") but they can not block crapola messages that come from foreign countries. Frankly I am totally amazed that these spammers have not yet figured out that they can apparently bury the Verizon vzwpix message recipients with unwanted emails simply by computer generating (Verizon) 10digitPhoneNumber@vzwpix.com - Seems that instead of blocking email delivery by banning certain words (and I wonder what other BANNED words exist besides the four that I've discovered), that Verizon should be working on ways to block messages from particular senders - or allowing the Verizon customer to control who they will not receive messages from; just like the email program on my computer does.
Hope this problem gets resolved sometime soon! Bill

trur0me0

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
1 to 2 out of 5

Not sure if this will help anyone...but I have been able to recieve 1 or 2 out of 5 sent...by sending them all at once and flooding the system with messages...Hope it helps :)

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
CepBasicsPresentation.004-001.png

This thread has been brought back to life!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.