Verizon can't get AW4 Cellular activated...

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
My AW3 was working great until I replaced' it with the 4. Now both watches read 'no sim' and Verizon tells me they are both bad.

Damn. I know they are not both bad.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
OK, first let's cover the basics. A watch will indicate "No SIM" until the e-SIM is actually provisioned as part of the activation process. The watch information from the bottom of the box is need in the Verizon system to build a ICCD as a physical SIM would have.

It sounds like Verizon does not have your information for the Series 4. Did you order from Verizon or Apple? Yes it does make a difference in the early shipments.

Note: the fact that you can't reactivate your Series 3 likely is a mismatch on the device information listed on your watch's Wearable line in the Verizon system.

Dave

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
OK, first let's cover the basics. A watch will indicate "No SIM" until the e-SIM is actually provisioned as part of the activation process. The watch information from the bottom of the box is need in the Verizon system to build a ICCD as a physical SIM would have.

It sounds like Verizon does not have your information for the Series 4. Did you order from Verizon or Apple? Yes it does make a difference in the early shipments.

Note: the fact that you can't reactivate your Series 3 likely is a mismatch on the device information listed on your watch's Wearable line in the Verizon system.

Dave
Apple store is where it came from.

Here is what I've been through

Preface: AW3 working fine for about a year perhaps before the AW4 swap Nightmare getting it activated when they came out.

1. 1 hour at Verizon store (told me to please call tech)
2. (24 minute wait to CS) 45 minutes on phone with verizon tech (told me watch was bad due to no sim message)
3. Called apple and inquired about replacement.
4. (17 minutes to CS) Another 30 minutes with verizon tech became obviously frustrated and told me it was bad as well).

Hard reset on watch x3
watch setup app works until it gets to 'setup cellular' and then it tells me that the device can't be added to my plan

So I guess in the AM I'll go at it again.

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Apple store is where it came from.

Here is what I've been through

Preface: AW3 working fine for about a year perhaps before the AW4 swap Nightmare getting it activated when they came out.

1. 1 hour at Verizon store (told me to please call tech)
2. (24 minute wait to CS) 45 minutes on phone with verizon tech (told me watch was bad due to no sim message)
3. Called apple and inquired about replacement.
4. (17 minutes to CS) Another 30 minutes with verizon tech became obviously frustrated and told me it was bad as well).

Hard reset on watch x3
watch setup app works until it gets to 'setup cellular' and then it tells me that the device can't be added to my plan

So I guess in the AM I'll go at it again.
I went through same dance with Verizon, they were convinced they had to ship me a “soft sim” :) whatever that is, they couldn’t answer that either. I hit the same wall in the app, I didn’t have a watch already on my plan. What fixed it for me was a suggestion by Verizon tech, changing my account pin, cancelled the order for the soft sim they created. Then 2 minutes and it was done on the app. Is the series 3 still on your account, but not activated? Maybe Look in your account see if an order created by Verizon for a soft sim, pending orders lock the account for any changes. Verizon also kept telling me to go back to Apple store and let them activate it. If it wasn’t product launch liftoff I would have.
Good luck these pain points can really sour a product experience. I just remembered were you trying to activate during the Apple stores server blackout?

Last edited:

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
I just went through this with verizon and got it working with a Their 2 tech. They have to remove the old device and number for the series and add a new number with the iccd printed on the box. After 14 hours of hell with verizon it worked. He put out a bulletin that the old device and number must be removed and replaced with the new one. The watch app ca not handle the swap from Verizons end. Good luck. I got it working and you will as well if you follow the instructions I gave you.

FlyingScot

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2008
South Florida
Funny I had to explain to ATT what an eSim is and Numbersync. The finally kicked to senior tech support who got it and was able to get me provisioned. Business account - had to call in to get LTE going.

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
I went through same dance with Verizon, they were convinced they had to ship me a “soft sim” :) whatever that is, they couldn’t answer that either. I hit the same wall in the app, I didn’t have a watch already on my plan. What fixed it for me was a suggestion by Verizon tech, changing my account pin, cancelled the order for the soft sim they created. Then 2 minutes and it was done on the app. Is the series 3 still on your account, but not activated? Maybe Look in your account see if an order created by Verizon for a soft sim, pending orders lock the account for any changes. Verizon also kept telling me to go back to Apple store and let them activate it. If it wasn’t product launch liftoff I would have.
Good luck these pain points can really sour a product experience. I just remembered were you trying to activate during the Apple stores server blackout?
no pending orders on my account like that. I have my aw3 back on the account but no lte. Apple told me sorry we don't into activations of lte with the watch, and then vzw told me it's a bad watch. VZW is full of it. Neither aw3 or 4 will do lte now after this.

No, no issues when I picked them up on Saturday. Thank you for the suggestions though.
[doublepost=1537850484][/doublepost]
I just went through this with verizon and got it working with a Their 2 tech. They have to remove the old device and number for the series and add a new number with the iccd printed on the box. After 14 hours of hell with verizon it worked. He put out a bulletin that the old device and number must be removed and replaced with the new one. The watch app ca not handle the swap from Verizons end. Good luck. I got it working and you will as well if you follow the instructions I gave you.
thanks and I'll give this a try in the AM. :)

Damn Dirty Ape

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Illinois
Where is the ICCD printed on the box? I see IMEI, Serial number, UPC and EID.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Again, as I posted earlier in the thread there is no ICCID printed on the box. It is generated by the Carrier as part of the activation process and downloaded to the Watch and stored as an (e-SIM).

Depending on your Carrier you may need to provide both the EID and IMEI from the bottom of your box.

Dave

rutiger

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2006
i'm now on my 3rd call with att who can't figure out how to get my new watch working. no one knows anything. the latest is they can't even find me as a customer in their system. i've had 2 phones with att since 2005. awesome support.

after a long hold they came back and said their system is down nothing can be done call back later.

call #4 - called back in and this new person says i have to unlock my phone in order to activate a watch. now we're in a standoff because i know that's bs and he has no clue how to help me.

after wasting 35 mins with this dude he's now escalating to someone else. utterly ridiculous.

the call dropped so i had to call back in.

call #5 i started by in no uncertain terms explaining to the lady how f'd this entire process and support has been from att. she had me read off the eid number from the watch. then said i had to do a factory reset on the watch. after doing that upon initial setup cell activation worked and prompted the numbersync page during setup.

so, as stated by others here it's clear that many support folks at these carriers haven't a clue. once you find someone with their head not resting up their ass it only takes a few minutes to resolve.

Last edited:

dcpmark

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
i'm now on my 3rd call with att who can't figure out how to get my new watch working. no one knows anything. the latest is they can't even find me as a customer in their system. i've had 2 phones with att since 2005. awesome support.

after a long hold they came back and said their system is down nothing can be done call back later.

call #4 - called back in and this new person says i have to unlock my phone in order to activate a watch. now we're in a standoff because i know that's bs and he has no clue how to help me.

after wasting 35 mins with this dude he's now escalating to someone else. utterly ridiculous.
If possible, just exchange the watch. Odds are you’ll end up with one that will provision properly and quickly.

edlex

macrumors 68000
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
My AW3 was working great until I replaced' it with the 4. Now both watches read 'no sim' and Verizon tells me they are both bad.

Damn. I know they are not both bad.
I also have Verizon and I'm waiting for my watch. Did you unpair and cancel the plan for the AW3 before setting up the the AW4?

Reactions: Medicman67

Jetfire

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I had this issue. First thing to do is call the Verizon transfer service activation number. This is what I had to do with my AW4 (business account). This kills you old watch's IMEI and activates the new one. (I didn't do that part). Unpair the old watch and select remove watch from plan. Pair new watch and activate. If this fails.

Get the number shows up on our iPhone when trying to activate you cellular plan for support. Unpair you watch. Have you IMEI number ready, I on the label on you box. This saves time. Since they couldn't Activate mine when it was paired. I had to unpair and repair while on phone. Call Verizon support. Tell them you problem. They should walk you through it.

What I did was unpair my AW3 and then paired my AW4. No luck on cellular. I then try the tranfer activation number but still wouldn't activate. Called the support number and she ask for the new IEMI. Gave that and still wouldn't activate. She then had me unpair and then pair again. It activated during pairing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.