Verizon chat telling me to buy phone full price as new customer to not lose unlimited

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbf1138, Sep 11, 2014.

1. rbf1138 macrumors 6502

I'm copy/pasting the transcript below:

welcome to Verizon Wireless sales chat! My name is Bryce, may I have your name, please?
    Jordan: at 20:15:29
    When I go to preorder the iphone 6 tonight, I do not want to use my phone upgrade. I want to pay full price for the phone. When I go to checkout it will not make me choose a data plan, correct? I currently have the unlimited plan and do not want to lose that when I buy the iphone
    Jordan: at 20:15:33
    My name's Jordan
    Bryce: at 20:15:32
    I see, for that full price option without plan I'll send you a link to order page with that selection ok!
    Jordan: at 20:16:36
    ok thank you
    Bryce: at 20:15:47
    Click Here To Order Device Without Plan!
    Jordan: at 20:17:12
    I guess a lot of people are asking the same question?
    Jordan: at 20:17:19
    they want to buy the phone and not lose their unlimited data?
    Bryce: at 20:17:12
    I understand. On that order site, you select new customer and then purchase device without plan and you can preorder at full retail price that way.
    Jordan : at 20:18:22
    I'm not a new customer though
    Bryce: at 20:18:21
    That's ok, you can order it as a new customer that way without choosing a plan on that line.
    Jordan : at 20:19:22
    oh ok
    Jordan : at 20:19:34
    and then when I get the phone in the mail I just put my old SIM card into the new one?
    Bryce: at 20:18:38
    Thank you for your interest in Verizon Wireless! Is there anything else I can help you with today?
    Bryce: at 20:19:12
    You don't even have to do that, it will have a new sim card in it. You can just activate it on your current line.

Jordan : at 20:20:30
    How will it know to be associated with my current phone number/account?
    Bryce: at 20:20:08
    It'll ask you during activation for your line number and info.
    ------------------

Does this make sense to anyone?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This has been a policy for a while, if you use an upgrade you have to get rid of the unlimited data. Verizon is trying to force people off of the unlimited plans. And if you don't have it tied to your line at ordering then it's a lot less likely that they'll mess something up and accidentally get rid of the unlimited data.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, makes perfect sense and its been known for a while.
    If you upgrade with verizon you will lose unlimited data. So you gotta buy full price.

4. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

I think so.

It's like buying one off eBay...you pay full price, it comes directly to you as it did from the factory and you would add it to the line you want to use it on. You bought it off eBay without them knowing whether you were a current customer or not..seems no different than buying it directly from Verizon and them not knowing whether you are or not.

5. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I did a "mock upgrade" using a Windows phone on the Verizon website. I chose the full price option. The next step is "choose a data plan". It allowed me to keep unlimited and not make changes as an option. It also warns you that if you do change your plan, you cannot go back to unlimited.

6. overfedexed macrumors member

option

They gave us another option. They will switch us from unlimited to 6gb of data, then let us get the $200 subsidized price. My wife only uses 3gb max, so this might work for us.

7. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I clearly stated I don't want to use my upgrade. My question to the rep was how can I purchase at full price and not have to choose a data plan.

Instead of telling me to login with my account and buy the phone at full price he's telling me to sign up as a new customer to buy the device only. Do you see what I'm saying?

----------

This is what I had planned on doing, and it's good to hear you can login on your current account and not be made to choose a different plan. I was pointing out (to the other posters who didn't understand) that I found it strange the rep didn't tell me to do this but instead told me to buy it as a new customer.

8. Bswartz95, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

I understand what you're saying, but do a trial with any other smartphone. You choose the phone to upgrade your existing line. You can choose "full price". Then the next step is data plan. It allows you to keep your unlimited.

Then I did a trial using the subsidized price and it forces you to choose a new plan.

I'll post a screen shot if I can, so others can see. Just because you "upgrade" your existing line, doesn't mean you can't keep your plan (assuming you select full price for the phone).

9. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you just selected "Upgrade my device" or whatever it says and then you're good to go from there, choose keep same plan, etc.?

10. wxman2003 Suspended

Select upgrade device. Choose the device you wish to upgrade. Choose the new Iphone 6. Select full price. Add to cart and checkout. It's that simple.

11. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

Yep! Upgrade your device, but be sure to click the link that will let you choose full price. Then you click "add and select plan." This is what it looks like.

Attached Files:

12. rbf1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

When you say "the link to choose full price" I'm assuming it says clearly on the page "full price" as an option, correct? Or is it a separate page that takes you to full price devices?

Will I also have to re-select my voice and messaging plans or is that a default option as well?

13. Bswartz95, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014

Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

It's a blue link that says "full price" under the subsidized price and the payment plan option.

Then click "add to cart and select plan". Keep everything the same (unlimited, etc..).

Attached Files:

14. gagecloutier macrumors member

Yep, I went through the same rigamarole two years ago getting my iPhone 5. The only workaround (other than buying the unlocked unsubsidized phone at full price) was to "steal" someone else's upgrade on my family plan. Then again, that was two years ago and I'm sure Verizon has found some way to block that exploit.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can still use someone else's upgrade.

16. gagecloutier macrumors member

The real question is though, will that still allow you to keep your unlimited data plan? That ship's already sailed for me, 6GB now shared amongst 3 phones.

17. elypcool macrumors member

guys, can you buy/pre-order at full price as a new costumer? it only gives me 2 year contract or edge...