Verizon Contract ends in 12/10. Should I switch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pomeless, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. Pomeless macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    #1
    Greetings! I've been haunting these boards for a while now but I have yet to post. I thought that I might solicit some opinions on my future purchase. So as the thread title states my Verizon contract is due to expire soon and I am pretty much set on getting an iPhone 4.

    Please Note:
    I do not intend to debate whether or not Verizon will or will not get the iPhone since there are plenty of threads for that. I seek your neighborly opinion. What would you do if you were me sort of thing.

    Here are some of the factors that I am consdering:
    1. From what I've read here at Macrumors there seems to be a chance that Verizon may get the iPhone.
    2. In talking to AT&T customers in my area I've had mixed reviews on dropped calls and reception issues which more or less lean towards the positive.
    3. I've not had a smartphone before so I've not sure how much data I will use but I figure that unlimited would be nice. If I stick with Verizon I may be able to get that. Going to AT&T I will not.

    I think that is about it. I'm leaning towards switching in 12/10 but I've been pleased with Verizon and would like to stay with them if it is possible.

    What say you?
     
  2. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

    ugahairydawgs

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #2
    I personally prefer AT&T for a few reasons....

    1. Having rollover lets me keep the cheapest knowing I can dip into my old minutes if I go over on a particular month (which I hardly ever do).

    2. I use simultaneous voice and data fairly often. This isn't possible with Verizon.

    3. The AT&T 3G network is faster than Verizon's (leaps and bounds faster in my area).

    There are ways still to get unlimited data with AT&T. Do a couple of searches here in the forums for a couple of different ways to get it. It requires some legwork, but it is still possible for sure.
     
  3. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

    h1r0ll3r

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2009
    Location:
    Maryland
    #3
    Wait. Since your contract will be up soon, just hang out with VZ for awhile in month to month contract status until you hear some official news about a VZ iPhone or not. If so, re-up with VZ and get that iPhone. If not, choice is yours on whether you want to jump ship to AT&T or not. If you've never had a smartphone before...ever...then you should probably check out other models and see if any of those fits your needs.
     
  4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 13, 2010
    #4
    If u get mixed signals with AT&T, then u should wait.
    I get good receptions with AT&T and it is just as good as vz.
     
  5. Grimes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2010
    #5
    Agreed. Since reception and location go hand in hand, it is really up to you to determine if ATT or Verizon is best for where you live, work, and regularly travel to.

    From personal experience, I get solid ATT reception up and down the east coast. Of course I'm in metro areas 90%+ of the time, so that probably helps...
     
  6. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

    i3igsmooth5769

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #6
    it would be worth it to wait...at least till January.
     
  7. viggen61 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #7
    Personally, I have no problems with AT&T. But, if you prefer Verizon, I'd say that is is definitely worth waiting at least a month or three to see if the much-rumored Verizon iPhone comes to fruition.

    Just because your contract is up, doesn't mean you need to jump then. And you'll only feel bad if you do switch, and don't get a good experience with the other carrier, only to find out Verizon announces it a week later...

    :apple::apple:
     
  8. asleep macrumors 68040

    asleep

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    #8
    No way!

    You'll be first in line for the VeriPhone.
     
  9. scat999999 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2003
    #9
    I concur on points 1 & 2. Both of those make it a no-brainer to me. Rollover minutes has saved me a lot of money over the years. A Verizon iPhone may or may not happen in Jan., or may or may not be announced in Jan. to come
    several months later. Or you can just get it now.

    Unlimited data is overhyped. I was able to downgrade my service to the $15 plan when I looked at my usage history on at&t's website and saw over 7 months I never went over 200mb. YMMV.
     
  10. johndyar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    #10
    By the time your contract expires, you are only about 6 months away from the iphone 5. If it was me, I would go month to month and get the iphone 5. You should also have a much clearer idea of iphone on Verizon by then.
     
  11. Mike225 macrumors 6502a

    Mike225

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    Location:
    SF BAY
    #11
    Stay on Verizon. Wait for next iPhone or Windows Phone to come.
     
  12. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2009
    Location:
    Coachella, CA
    #12
    Well from what I can gather, Verizon cannot support data and voice at the same time. So if they did get the phone, it would be limited in relation to what is currently available on AT&T. Once LTE is deployed and a new phone comes on that I believe it would be resolved.

    My Verizon contract ended 10/16. I made it until 11/7 before I bought my iPhones. The last week of use has been awesome. In two years, when my contract ends, I would consider getting an iPhone if available on Verizon, and if they support data and voice. If I am incorrect on this assumption someone please let me know.
     
  13. jacollins macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2010
    #13
    I've heard Verizon's planning on dropping their unlimited data as well. So you might be in the same boat either way, since you don't currently have a data plan (they may not grandfather you in).
     
  14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

    kdarling

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Location:
    Cabin by a lake
    #14
    Although there were rumors like that two months ago, I've read the opposite lately.

    In fact, Verizon's in the news right now for trialing a $70 450 mins voice + unlimited text + unlimited data plan to select customers.
     
  15. dgreen1069 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    #15
    If I was in your shoes I would definitely wait. Although I am not personally convinced Verizon will be getting an iPhone anytime soon, all the rumors would be enough for me to wait. AT&T doesn't come in dead last in major customer satisfaction surveys for no reason......they SUCK! I am hooked on the iPhone, but I can't wait until I can switch back to Verizon. I almost made the switch back this past spring, but I didn't like the Droid Incredible as much as my iPhone.
     
  16. labman macrumors 604

    labman

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    Mich near Detroit
    #16
    right now I'd wait till Iphone 5 which should be June. you will be crying wishing you could get it stuck in your contract. you will also know the future about then. personally I am happy with at&t not perfect but I like it allot more then I did Verizon.
     
  17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

    Anonymous Freak

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2002
    Location:
    Cascadia
    #17
    If you don't have any problems with staying with Verizon, I'd say wait until mid January. If you REALLY want the iPhone, and there is no announcement during Apple's customary January hardware release, then go for it.

    But how bad would you feel switching to AT&T only to have a Verizon iPhone announcement 32 days later? (i.e. right after the 'no hassle cancellation' period ends.)
     
  18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

    GoCubsGo

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2005
    #18
    I've had an iPhone since the original launch and have loved the phone and all of it's shortcomings. I've lived in the walled garden and thought there was no way I'd ever want another phone. Then I realized, I had a data device but was short on anything that allowed me to make and receive calls without interuption.

    I switched to VZ about 20 days ago and since then, I've found that there are things I really love about my Droid X over the iPhone and vice versa. In short, if I could get the iPhone's design with the Android OS excluding the sorry excuse for copy/paste (Apple may have lagged on this but boy did they bang this out of the park), then I would be in heaven.

    That said, what I also considered was that if I could not buy the phone by end of October then I would wait until January 2011, if there was no VZ iPhone then I'd chill on AT&T with my old iPhone until June 2011 and grab the next iPhone.

    For you, are you willing to completely throw your upgrade cycle off by 6 months? If you jump now you get the iPhone 4, come June 2011 you won't get the iPhone 5, rather you'll have to wait 6 months. Me, I'll have to wait until September 2011 to upgrade, that to me is ok. I don't tend to buy the newest iPhone until a couple of months after launch anyway. I think if it does go to VZ then I'd wait to see what things didn't quite work out. Then, come my upgrade option period (I signed a year long contract), I will either decide I truly love what hardware VZ has to offer and stick with them or go back to AT&T if I miss the iPhone.

    Right now, I don't miss the iPhone until I am copying/pasting something. Even the size of the Droid X hasn't phased me much.
     
  19. Pomeless thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2010
    #19
    Thanks for the advice! That is exactly what I was going to do. Now it's looking like a pretty good idea.

    Now I get to be concerned with the 1st of a kind flaws. It should be fun!
     

Share This Page