Carrier Verizon customers do you use VOLTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rockitdog Suspended

Verizon customers, do you take advantage of VOLTE where available or is it too much of a battery drain? Looks like using LTE for voice and data is the only way to get simultaneous voice and data.

2. chevelleguy3 macrumors regular

I have been using VoLTE since it was introduced for Verizon. It was a little buggy at the very beginning but now it's been pretty reliable. I haven't noticed much of a battery drain either.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Pretty much the same experience here as well.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Verizon customers how's your wifi calling going?:)

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Those with iOS 9.3 beta 3 can probably provide some feedback about it.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

wifi calling on beta 3 with my 6S has been working great so far.

8. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

I don't understand the allure of wi-fi calling. I get a strong Verizon signal almost everyplace I am, rarely below 2 dots (silly Apple signal meter). I don't need it.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will understand it when in a building, basement or any place with low signal connection. Wifi calling will give you perfect voice calls without cutting in and out and without having to go outside or near a Window.
    It's a great added option to have.
    Verizon fanboys have been saying they don't need it for years but will love it and say how great it is when Verizon lastly enables it.
    And unlike VoLTE you won't get your calls disconnected when going from lte to cdma connection switch.
    It will switch from VoLTE to wifi calling seamless.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

The allure is for those who don't get a strong signal (or perhaps even any signal), either regularly somewhere or at least at times here or there where at the same time they have WiFi coverage. Likely appeals differently to different people, but there are enough for whom this would make a difference of at least some sort.

11. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

Not really, still looking for strong LTE in my area, let alone VoLTE

12. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Many other Verizon customers don't always have the perfect signal. You are 1 out of 300 million.

13. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

Honestly I'm surprised how good my service is, I've yet to try it in an underground garage or tunnel.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

At my house I have a network extended, due to a lousy signal; which also means LTE is spotty. My neighborhood generally gets a good signal, but not at my house. The network extended helps, but while home I am looking forward to seeing if wifi is any different. Half the days I have volte on, half the days I don't. The people I call, although mostly an iphone crowd, don't have it on either.

15. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You'll enjoy WiFi calling. I use it in places I have no cell signal whatsoever and it works great.

16. awests macrumors regular

VoLTE is great. The first time I used it I couldn't believe how clear the call was. I haven't noticed any massive drains on battery while using it.

17. cynics macrumors G3

Been using VoLTE for a couple months. It's been pretty good. Call quality is much better without a doubt.

Reliability...well Verizon's voice network was rock solid so it's hard to beat that. But that being said its been pretty good. I spend about 4 hours a day on my phone while driving (so I'm moving around their network) and don't have too many dropped calls.

I always have one or two bars (dots) so the Apple indicator doesn't effect much.

18. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

No need, since unlike T-Mobile or Sprint we actually get signal almost everywhere.

19. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Kind of off topic but is it true that if you've got VOLTE for voice and data, you can't use the internet while on a call?

My friend on Facebook has Verizon, just got the 6s. He was frustrated he couldn't use the net and talk at the same time. So he disabled it for voice, left it on data only. Now he can do both simultaneously.

Is that everywhere or in certain markets?

20. Deeznuts. macrumors 6502

Deeznuts.

It just got rolled out. You'd be surprise how better it gets.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

When you can use it for voice and data at the same time on iPhones is exactly only when LTE is enabled for voice and data and you are making a VoLTE (or HD as its sometimes referred to) call.

22. rzc16512 macrumors regular

This is an outdated fact. I have sprint and on my route from north Georgia to South Georgia for school I get LTE almost the entire way except for about 20 miles where I only get 3G but it doesn't drop below four bars. Better than what I was getting on AT&T. Can't speak to T-mobile though.

23. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

Yeah, because you are on the highway. Look at the coverage maps, they cover most highways but you get a mile away from the highway and you get nothing.

24. rzc16512 macrumors regular

Nope. Take back roads most of the way. A little bit of highway. A few years ago when I tried Sprint I had that issue though.

25. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Not everyone does. Thus the interest in how it's working.