Carrier VERIZON CUSTOMERS W/Iphone6s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zaquinho17, Sep 12, 2015.

1. zaquinho17 macrumors regular

zaquinho17

Just a handy tip for anyone with verizon who pre-ordered the iPhone 6s:

I am a traveler, also an international student in the US, but I can confirm that all Verizon phones (on a plan/pay per month) are UNLOCKED. You can put any sim card them. Crazy, I know, but all 4G phones from this year on are unlocked no matter how you purchase them from verizon..

NB: if you find counter evidence, I am basing my statement solely on the advice of 2 Customer representatives

2. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

This has been true for years. I think all LTE-capable phones on Verizon are unlocked and have been just about forever. I've been using a Verizon-model iPhone since 2012 and every one has been unlocked out of the box.

3. zaquinho17 thread starter macrumors regular

zaquinho17

i find it strange where that is the case with verizon only, although they released the 4 with no sim card slot did they not?

4. willmtaylor, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's only common knowledge in these forums bc it's often discussed here. The unlocked LTE phones were part of a deal that VZW made with the FCC when purchasing LTE spectrum.

5. zaquinho17 thread starter macrumors regular

zaquinho17

very well then, new to me. As Im australian and only been here for two years (US), i was unaware of that deal.

At home, for example, to get out of my iPhone 5 contract to be able to use that phone over here (legally) would cost me $1000 half way through a contract. thus my ecstatic thread

6. Broadus macrumors 6502a

This occurred only the past February, didn't it, that Verizon complied then?

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Indeed. Glad you're here and glad you're ecstatic. Enjoy both the States and you phone. :)

8. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

no, it's been a few years now. that february compliance was something else

9. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

The 4 Verizon model was a CDMA-only phone and would not have worked on most other networks, with or without a SIM slot (SIM cards are an optional part of the CDMA standard, and US CDMA carriers never use them) all subsequent Verizon iPhones supported LTE. LTE is an evolution of the GSM spec, which mandates SIM cards, so all Verizon LTE phones include SIM slots.

It sounds like you get a pretty bad deal in Australia. Outside of the United States, It's generally been pretty rare for phones to ship carrier-locked. Do you have an option to buy your phone no contract prepaid? Whenever I go to Australia I just get a prepaid Telstra SIM and pop it in. The data and voice rates are fairly reasonable, as I recall.

Carrier locking in the United States seems to be on its way out. Verizon hasn't done it in years, nor has T-Mobile. Sprint generally ships phones locked, but will unlock them for overseas use if your account is in good standing. AT&T has been the last big holdout - they generally will not unlock an in-contract phone for any reason, which is a major pain in the ass if you travel.

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

The February law only applies to phones that were out of contract, already, so it really didn't do much at all. There was a time when AT&T would not unlock an iPhone ever, even out of contract, but I believe they had allowed out of contract unlocking for several years by the time this law was passed.

11. Broadus macrumors 6502a

But the February unlock allowed one to put a GSM SIM card in his Verizon so he could connect to ATT or T-Mobile or one of their MVNO's right?

12. zaquinho17 thread starter macrumors regular

zaquinho17

im a 10 year veteran of Telstra, and yes they were my $1000 buy out. They always did 0 down for phones, since iPhone prices are a minimum 850 (back then).. but my way round it was, I switch my plan to $10 a month (bare minimum plan, as i was in the states i wouldn't even use it) for the last 13 months, paid a total of $140, saving $850!.. but I'm glad when i go home for christmas i can show off my new iPhone 6s plus!

13. zaquinho17 thread starter macrumors regular

zaquinho17

Thank you! I am enjoying it!

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

You could already do that before, since the days of iPhone 5 (when it comes to iPhones, as that was the first one that supported LTE and the Verizon version had to come factory unlocked).

15. Broadus, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

Broadus macrumors 6502a

Then what was so special about what happened in February? From what I had read, owners of Verizon iPhones 4S and up would be able to use their phones On GSM networks.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015/02/nice-verizon-just-unlocked-unlocked.html

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

In case of Verizon it might have had some impact on non-LTE phones that support GSM and thus can be unlocked, but in case of LTE phones it's basically moot as they are unlocked by default (again, as far as Verizon's phones go).