Verizon Cutting Customer Discounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Wicked1, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

2. WingedWheel macrumors newbie

Verizon cutting discounts? Gee, there's a shocker!

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In other words, Apple is squeezing Verizon's balls as hard as they are ATT's. I love it.

4. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

This.

Apple will have full control of verizon now because of the iphone 4.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, big surprise.

6. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Yup. There are ALOT of things Apple is making Verizon do. This is one of them. Also no branding on devices, no pre-installed bloatware, etc, etc, etc. Verizon is just saying "okay, okay" to everything because they realize how important it is to have this device.

7. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Next requirement from apple: No advertising of android phones.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Interesting responses.

It was nice of Verizon to give extra discounts over and above the usual subsidies. Did other carriers always give an extra $50-$100 every couple of years just for being a loyal customer?

I suspect it's being dropped partly because some people get a phone cheap or free and then default on their account, and partly because of the higher cost of most phones now.

I doubt Apple has anything to do with it, beyond being one of the companies with a higher cost device.

I still haven't seen anything about my major question: usually Verizon offers insurance on all their phones. I wonder if they will on the iPhone?

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Apple gets the full price on every phone verizon sells. Verizon is the one losing money giving away these freebie loyalty programs. Apple gets their cash even if Verizon says free iPhones for everyone.

10. vachargerfan macrumors regular

Yep. I am pretty sure eventually you will see AT&T/Verizon charging basically the same thing for all the plans. They still need to make their money

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe AT&T does. I often get advertisements that I can take an additional amount of money off of any subsidized phone. Of course the fine print always excludes the iPhone.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

This is probably just the beginning.... wait till they get all these people signed up for 2 year contracts with the iphone.... Then you'll see the master nickel and dimer really go to work

13. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

AT&T does it but never on the iphone

*edit* Dave420 beat me to it. but yeah exactly what he said, there is always a fine print excluding all iPhones.... they have to pay papa Jobs lol.

14. thetexan macrumors 6502a

-This program is 10 years old, and 10 years ago phones were much cheaper than today. It doesn't make financial sense to continue anymore.

-This "cut" is essentially getting Verizon in line with the rest of the industry, as the new every two program was additional discounts on top of a current subsidized price. For example if it continued you could get a brand new iPhone for around $100 after two years. Now those due for upgrade will get it for $199 or the same price as a new customer.

-Yea it sucks but I don't get why people believe they are entitled. Take it or leave it, the iPhone is a luxury and the choice is yours.

15. dizmonk macrumors regular

Wow... that's very helpful... For whatever reason I wasn't up until Sept. but when I pumped in all the info on Verizon's site they told me I was eligible, so I'll upgrade.

I'm wondering if it has a much to do with the plan/device you bought before and less with the actual date of purchase?

16. WingedWheel macrumors newbie

Well put Texan!

17. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I was given very generous discounts on each of my iPhones from AT&T, even though I was not eligible, because of this I've bought every new iPhone released.

Because my current iP4 has such a poor phone, I decided to add Verizon since they offered me the upgrade price for an iPhone as a new customer. So now I'm happy knowing I will have the new antenna.

Ironically I've already been lucky enough to sell & get paid for my old iPhone 4.

My Andoid on AT&T makes great calls so now my phone problems should be solved as long as Apple has made a better iPhone for Verizon. That certainly appears to be the case. I was told I'll get my Verizon phone as soon as they begin shipping. They said Apple promised them plenty of phones. We'll see.