Verizon Data Plan vs AT&T Data Plan

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ahdickter, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Is Verizon's Data plan worth it over AT&T?

1. Yes, 2GB for $30 is worth it for faster speeds with LTE

32 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. No, 2GB for $30 is not worth it for faster speeds.

30 vote(s)
    48.4%
  1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Obviously, Verizon's LTE network is far more comprehensive than ATT's counterpart. But Verizon only gives 2GB for the same price as AT&T gives 3GB. It is worth it to you to have less data but faster speeds?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Depends on what you are doing. AT&T's 4G HSPA+ is very good for general browsing and email. I average 3-5Mbps down. I'm really not sure what the 4G LTE 30Mbps down for an iPad is good for, since you can't download movies or apps bigger than 50MB anyway.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, Verizon also includes free tethering with their data plans. In other threads on this subject, I recall that swaying some folks towards Verizon, and that's where LTE speeds would really be utilized.

4. Eallan macrumors 6502

I'm blown away by the fact that Verizon is giving 2GB instead of AT&T's 3GB for the same exact price. It really doesn't make any sense and it seems to get no coverage in blogs or anything.

This is all kind of irrelevant though, as all the LTE plans are total and complete crap.

5. ndpitch macrumors 6502

There should be another choice in the poll that says...

"Yes, 1 GB of LTE data for 20 dollars a month and a hotspot is worth it."

That's what I signed up for, and it's worth it for me, seeing as I haven't gone over 1 gig a month of data on my iphone 4 in over a year. Not to mention the contract free aspect, so I activate it when I know I'll need it. More than enough data.

6. deeddawg macrumors 603

Anyone know of a video doing a side by side web browsing compare of HSPA+ vs LTE on the new iPad? I did some searching but didn't come up with anything worthwhile.

7. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I'm really wanting an answer to this question also. I got the VZW version & the LTE is great, but the data goes extra fast. Even though CT doesn't have AT&T LTE yet, the 3G/4G is pretty good. I'm just wondering how it runs on iPad 3. The 3gb w/ AT&T would be a hell of a lot better.

8. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

What we need is a market by market speedtest between AT&T and Verizon iPads in LTE areas. I'm still uncertain which iPad gets better speads in New York City. I have the Verizon iPad and have experienced download speeds of 30 mbps and upload speeds in the 20s, but I have also seen it slow to 10 mpbs on download during peak usage and depending on where I am. Also, after a weekend, I've used about 200 mps of 2G; that extra gig on AT&T may be extremely useful. I would say HSPA would be a big benefit for AT&T, but honestly HSPA+ in my iPhone 4S testing has been unreliable (I get under 2 mps here in NYC, haven't done extensive testing elsewhere)

9. Disbchris macrumors newbie

This poll is useless. In my area, Verizon certainly isn't the faster network and it all depends on what you value more. I would rather get more for my money plus Verizon's hotspot has no use for me personally.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Personal hotspot. Verizon has it. AT&T doesn't.

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

^This.

Verizon's coverage is outstanding in the cities I visit and hotspot was an absolute requirement to get me off my Verizon LTE Moto Xoom (which of course had hotspot as part of the plan).

Cheers,

12. beret9987 macrumors regular

I'm technically in an LTE market, but I gotta stand outside to get any coverage. Big no no for me so AT&T it is! Whatever works for you though, I do wish att gave more data with their lowest tier plan.

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's a tough call but in the end AT&T's $30 for 3GB of LTE beat out Verizon's $30 for 2GB.

AT&T has stated they will enable hotspot functionality soon but who knows if they will charge extra or include it for free? Hotspot feature isn't a big deal for me anyway.

Verizon isn't faster than AT&T on LTE. It depends upon the area.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, it's really going to depend on the area.

This article notes that Verizon is deploying LTE in 20MHz bands, which allows 800 active, full-speed users per tower. AT&T is deploying LTE in 10MHz bands, which will allow for 400 active, full-speed users per tower. If Verizon and AT&T have equally as fast back-hauls from those towers, it definitely seems like Verizon gets the advantage.

I'd imagine in larger cities, that will turn out to be a performance factor, at least once LTE devices really start to get popular.

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Just wait till the IPhone LTE comes out and let's see what kind of speeds we get on the towers with heavy traffic.

16. MrXiro, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm on Verizon's 3G right now with decent enough speeds actually too. I didn't use speed test but I seem to be pulling down web pages fast enough where it doesn't bother me.

I turned off LTE because I feel like it does burn through your data faster.

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Thanks for the link. Details like this always come out *after* I make my purchase. :) Nonetheless, I checked my coverage map and the places I'm likely to travel to are covered better by AT&T than by Verizon so I'm still good.

If I didn't rely on wifi in NYC, it looks like Verizon might be a better choice then. Though backing up to Verizon's slow 3G network wouldn't be fun either. Ugh, I wish the carriers wouldn't block a hybrid AT&T/Verizon iPad.

18. JayDH macrumors 6502

Lots of false assumptions here. I'm getting AT&T LTE speeds that are 2 or 3 times faster than Verizon LTE speeds in Washington, D.C. So, I'm getting 3GB for $30 AND faster speeds. Should change the poll to include that option. :p

19. hh83917 macrumors 6502

I think this poll depend on where you are located in the U.S. Some areas simply has one faster than the other.

This poll is also missing the free tethering feature that Verizon enabled for their customer. AT&T does not have tethering yet for their customers.

20. PPFee macrumors 6502

Don't worry about that, it seems at the very least for the first year of ATT LTE availability in many areas the speeds and backhaul through ATT are higher. I am pretty satisfied with my hspa+ iPhone speeds in new orleans, haven't tried the LTE on the iPad yet. Heres my 4s speed test.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. Aces2412 macrumors regular

AT&T for me I think?

In live in DC but travel overseas and domestic often. I went with AT&T for these reasons:

1. I don't care about hotspot because I have an unlimited data on my Verizon 4s
    and would not want to waste the data. Also iPad took the place of the
    laptop.

2. More data for the $. 2gb vs 3Gb

3. When lte is not available AT&T has a better fall back.

4. I was told but not 100% sure on this but AT&T has more international
    options.

5. Lastly I have Verizon for everything fios and iPhones and wanted to try the
    other woman.

I understand Verizon has more lte coverage but I hope the equal out in the years to come. AT&T is hurting on the t-mobile no go. Maybe the next administration will let them merge.

22. LastParade macrumors newbie

I've been in Atlanta all week for work. Verizon's LTE has been amazing and indispensable. In fact, my hotel's free wifi is terrible and takes forever to check email and web browsing. They want you to pay $7 a day for "premium" wifi. LTE hotspot all the way. In the past week, using it for normal tasks, streaming some YouTube but not a ton, I've only used 300mb. And this is with traveling and using it as my primary connection. When I'm at home there should be no reason to go over 2gb. You have to be cognizant of how much data you use and adjust. It's the same thing as minute plans for voice. Video is where you'll get burned. Make different arrangements, load movies on you iPad before you leave, etc. It takes some time to get used to not being a drunkin sailor when it comes to data usage, but it's not as hard as people make it out to be. Just my 2 cents.

23. KPOM macrumors G5

The WSJ had an article today about people finding out that they have blown through their data allotments in hours. Of course, they were all streaming video.

That said, something will eventually have to give. LTE networks are a lot more efficient, and I can't see 5GB data limits cutting it for particularly long. I don't see a return to the all-you-can-eat days, but I also can't see people paying $100-200/month for cable/satellite at home, plus $80/month for wireless, plus another $50 for an iPad data plan every month.