Verizon data speeds - compromises?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by automan98, Apr 26, 2011.

1. automan98 macrumors member

I've been on an AT&T iphone for about two years. Data on AT&T is inconsistent, but when it's good it's really good (i.e. 2 megs+ per sec). I'm still very unhappy about the phone service with both quality of calls and dropped calls.

I'm thinking about switching over to Verizon. Timing would be good in terms of contract. I don't care about voice and data at the same time. Don't care about iphone5. I am concerned the data speeds will not be fast enough. I'm a heavy browser. I don't stream video, but I do stream music. Will I be disappointed by Verizon's data speeds? Have any of you on ATT who moved to Verizon, for whatever phone, been disappointed with the speed difference?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Because cellular service varies dramatically depending on many factors besides coverage areas, the only way you're going to know is to try it for yourself.

In my area I enjoy nearly perfect service with both carriers.

I prefer AT&T for its superior signal strength & much faster data.

Yet I still use Verizon concurrently for their excellent Android phones.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

A co-worker of mine switched from AT&T to Verizon because of call quality, even though we live in the same area and I have had 2 dropped calls in 3 years.

Nonetheless her speeds are literally half of mine, if not less. I've been getting 3.5Mbps at minimum for the last few weeks, during peak hours. Off peak I've been pulling down just under 5Mbps. She will be lucky on off peak to get 2Mbps. That difference will be noticeable but at the same time depends how picky you are personally. Personally for myself, I would not be able to handle that slow of speeds compared to what I am used to now.

4. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

If you have good AT&T 3G coverage in your area, I would stick with AT&T. I am with AT&T still because of their phone signal in our area. Verizon has poor phone coverage in our area... and our Verizon phone's would drain battery power looking for a signal. I am also a Verizon customer... mainly using data from their mifi products. I usually get better coverage with Verizon data... especially when I travel. However, when I have a good AT&T 3G signal, it is a lot faster than Verizon 3G when I connect to my Verizon 2200 mifi. However, I just upgraded my 2200 to the Verizon Novatel 4G LTE mifi, and I get +- 10Mbs download and around 8 upload. If you have 4G LTE coverage (now or in the future) in your area, I would recommend waiting for a Verizon 4G LTE iPhone before you make the switch. AT&T's 3G is still faster than Verizon's 3G when I compare the AT&T and Verizon devices I own... but it could be the area's I was in when I did the speedtest comparison.

5. Gomez315 macrumors member

I would stick to AT&T. Like you I am a heavy browser and I am lucky to even get 1Mb down. My last day to return the phone is on Thursday and I'm pretty sure I will return tomorrow.

6. wxman2003 Suspended

I am on Verizon and at best have only seen a max dowload speed of 2 mbs. Usually less than 1 Mbs. If you ever watch verizon commercials, they rarely tout the speed of their 3G network, just the coverage. In fact, their iphone commercials are of their spokesman saying "Can you hear me now?" they never promote their weakness, and thats data speed.