Carrier Verizon Data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nanogirl21, Oct 29, 2013.

1. nanogirl21, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Hi guys,

I am switching from Sprint to Verizon. This would be my first time with another carrier. I am really excited about having decent speeds, but, I’m not really sure what I need as far as a data plan. I am seriously dumb when it comes to data info, so I am asking for your help.

Based on the information below, how much data do you think I would need on a 5S? I do plan to use Verizon’s hot spot tethering to stream YouTube and Netflix on the iPad mini. I have heard that Verizon’s LTE use more data than Sprint’s 3G. I am just really confused.

— Info based off of 12 months on Sprint —
    • Average Calls per Month – 411 minutes
    • Average Text per Month – 972
    • Average 3G Data per Month – 2,262,473 KB or 2.16 GB

— I spend majority of my time —
    • 1 hour on YouTube per day (heavier on weekends)
    • 4-6 movies on Netflix per month
    • 20 Minutes in Safari per day
    • 1-2 hours playing games per day (heavier on weekends)
    • Push email every 30 minutes
    • Automatic App updates will be on
    • I do plan to use Verizon’s hot spot tethering to steam YouTube and Netfix on the iPad mini.

Thanks everyone.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

Since you will likely be using LTE most of the time, and since many of those apps will recognize the faster speeds, netflix, youtube will use HD streaming, which will use a lot of data. Based on the amount of movies and youtube videos, I would not be surprised if you use 6 to 8 GB a month.

3. tster macrumors newbie

I recently switched from Sprint to Verizon also. My usage is similar to yours I opted for the 8 GB plan.

4. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Do you run pretty close to using all 8GB?

5. tster macrumors newbie

I've been through a couple billing cycles and average about 7 GB a month. I'm hoping to do a AOL on an unlimited data plan if I can acquire one, if not the 8 GB will suffice.

6. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

Looks like I will be doubling my monthly bill. I was expecting to pay a bit more but not THAT much. Hmm...

7. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

You could always buy an unlimited data plan for ~$300. You would need to pay for your new phone at full price though if it's just a single line.

8. aneftp macrumors 601

Yeah. But if OP buys one unlimited data (via assumption of liability for unlimited account) and has family lines with tiered data OP can still use unlimited data loophole to transfer upgrade and keep unlimited. OP just needs to google search this transfer upgrade loophole that's been discussed.

And yes. Verizon still offered traditional voice and texts plans even if they seem like they only offer share everything plans only. You have to really push for it as a new customer. They may tell you no and it's not possible for new customers. But it is still available.

9. nanogirl21 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

There will only be one device on the account. I don't planto add another "line" to my plan. Although, adding iPad to the share everything plan is only $10.00 extra per month. I may consider it later. I did a google on the unlimited data thing, but didn't find exactly what you were talking about. Can you please link me.

I did call Verizon shortly after making this thread and they are telling me that the only plans available for iPhone is the new Share plans and that the only regular plans are for those who are over age 65 and the data is capped at 4GB for those. This don't sound right to me, but that is what I was told.

----------

$300 per month for 1 phone? Sorry, but I think that is absolutely insane. :eek:

10. aneftp macrumors 601

Actually. $300 for assuming unlimited data for one line is a good price for those who use more than 5gb data each month. It pays for itself quickly for heavy data users.

Yes. Traditional plans are still available to new customers. You have to insist on it. And keep insisting on it.

11. alent1234 macrumors 603

12. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 68000

not a good idea if you want coverage when you leave the interstate:eek:

13. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

just stay on wifi wherever you go.
    I've kept my unlimited LTE on Verizon for years. I almost hit 100GB last month with tethering. best thing i could've ever done.

14. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

It's not $300 per month, it's $300 (one time) to take over someone elses verizon account/line that has unlimited data ($29.99 a month).