Verizon - disappointing trade in offers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by turtlebud, Sep 15, 2017.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

I think I got spoiled by the verizon offer last year for trade in with iPhone 7 purchase. They basically paid for a base model ($650) so I only ended up pay the difference in DPP for a 128gb model. This year, they are offering $300 in monthly credits and ONLY if you sign up for their unlimited plan (which I am not interested in).

While I am hoping that they have better offers once the X comes out, I fear that they will require the unlimited plan in order to get the offer.

2. clutchm3 macrumors 6502

clutchm3

Agreed. Although, what is the fear with the unlimited plan again? I am currently on THE NEW VERIZON PLAN 12 GB

3. cnotes2019 Suspended

I read that no carrier will offer any where near as good a deals as last year

4. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Better offers will come. Eventually.

May have to wait a few months...

5. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

Some people don't need the unlimited plan and it can be a lot more expensive than some of the other plans. I have a 20 GB plan that I barely use 8 GB a month and is still a lot less expensive then the unlimited plan.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    Also I forgot to mention you don't get any employee discounts on the unlimited plan.

6. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Correct, the only exception is the military discount.

7. DevinNj macrumors 6502a

Last December I got great a deal from Verizon; 7 Plus 128G $20/mo after 2-3 billing cycles. I got one for me and one for my wife that's why this year I'm hesitant to upgrade. I'm going to wait a bit and see if they offer anything on this years iPhones.

8. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I think I'm gonna wait to see what happens in terms of Black Friday deals.

9. krishmk macrumors 6502

I think they got lot of iPhone user hooked up on that 2 yr device payment (credits) option and they know if you need to upgrade you will lose those credits and you will have to pay in full before you can buy a new one.
    Double profit for them and I suspect you will see similar offer next year. Nothing until then...

10. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty much what missbing said. It's considerably more expensive for 3 lines than what I need and I don't get my employee discount. I'd probably get the 8gb plan, though I would prefer a 10 or 12gb shared plan.

11. krishmk macrumors 6502

I am no means a medium user, intact a low user, we have 6GB shared between 2 devices and we are always on Wifi and we hardly use 2GB a month. I have no use for unlimited plan and in fact I tried to downgrade to 4GB and that raised my access charge to $20 from $15. Needless to say we went back to 6GB and are paying $15 per each line.

12. AWDV8TT macrumors member

Same situation I'm in. Most of my friends see the price of the X as a small increase to their monthly bill. Right now I'm paying $6/mo give or take for my i7 128GB after I get the $27/mo credited back. So, for me...its not a $10-$15 increase...it's $40+. I keep thinking my best move is to just keep the 7 another 10 months (after X launch) and own it free and clear and get the "Xs" and the 7 should still be worth more.

I'm surprised the 7 trade values aren't better. Apple didn't really lower the price that much on a 7. I expected the values to be higher considering.

13. TravisPNW macrumors 6502a

TravisPNW

I can't really say I'm disappointed... but then again I'm upgrading from a 2 year old 128gb 6s Plus with an ear speaker that is starting to act up to the point when I make calls I use my bluetooth headset.

It's time for an upgrade... and $275 is IMHO a great offer for a 2 year old phone. Those upgrading from last year's model probably won't be as happy as I am though.

I'm passing on the X... I went with a 256gb 8 Plus. I'm already on the unlimited plan because I have 3 phones and 2 LTE iPads on my account.

14. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Heh, I actually spoke to a Verizon rep a couple of weeks ago about transferring an upgrade to our son. When she saw that I have an iPhone, she asked if I was interested in the new model coming out. I told her 'maybe' and asked why she asked and that's when she said Verizon might offer me a trade-in value equal to a new model like they did last year and that I should at least hold off and see. Obviously VZW changed their plan for this year's model(s).

The same rep also mentioned Black Friday offers that were pretty attractive.

At this point, I'll see if the improve the offer for an "8", see what they do once the "X" is out, and if I have to, wait for BF deals.

15. brianric macrumors regular

Would that apply to veterans or is it active duty only?

16. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

Do you have any idea of what those might be?

17. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

The more I look into the X, the more I am inclined to do this as well. Going from a 7 to and 8 isn't really worth it and the X is just too much for what it is. _maybe_ if the offers with trade in are significant and don't require the unlimited plan, I may consider it, otherwise, I'm starting to warm to the idea of just keeping my 7 and waiting for the Xs.

18. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Your decision is wise.

My prediction is the current iPhone X will be the foundation of all incoming iPhone versions. It is a special 10 year anniversary edition. Next year iPhone versions regular and plus will have the same design as iPhone X. I also assume there will be no more a third model since no special anniversary will happen next year. Next special anniversary will happen in 10 years later :)

Apple might keep the current X with lower price, or discontinue it depending on their business strategy.

19. koolaid-drinker macrumors 6502

I think it come back to blow up in VZW's face with limiting it to the Unlimited plan.

Keep in mind as well that the UP was just changed and if you want true UL, it cost alot more now than before...

20. ibcj macrumors member

Last year's $650 trade-in promotion was introduced to lock people into staying with Verizon for 24 months. This was done as many customers were leaving Verizon for other carriers due to lower costs and promotions. Since that time, Verizon has introduced their unlimited plan(s) which have kept many customers and brought some back. I don't think we will see a similar promotion this year, even during the holidays.

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If Verizon gives you more for your phone, that means less profit for them, which also means that they will seek to recoup said difference by either making a deal where you have to move to plan x to get more money, or they come up with a new fee or two.

Either sell the phone yourself, or keep it as a backup.

22. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Active and retired as far as I know.

23. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

That's the situation I'm in. Did that same deal last year on a 7+ 128Gb. Now I have 2 phones and 2 tablets on my 2Gb plan which works for us as we are mostly on wifi. To upgrade it would start with an increase of about $66/month to go to unlimited plus the phone payment. Just doesn't make sense for our needs/wants.

That said, I wouldn't be interested in an 8 or 8+ as I don't see them as much of an upgrade. So I'll wait and see what they do with the X. I've got this feeling it won't be very good either.

24. turtlebud thread starter macrumors 6502a

slightly off topic, but does anyone know if it's possible to get the retired XL or XXL plan (ex. even though it's not available online, can you call in and switch to it?)

25. macblitz macrumors member

macblitz

I think Verizon did last years $650 trade in program because Tmobile, Sprint, AT&T all did the same $650 trade in program. This year, none of the 4 big Carriers have any special deals. All 4 have the same $300 tradein.

So it is not just verizon. Blame all 4 carriers having a monopoly.