Verizon double data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bytheriver, Oct 15, 2014.

1. bytheriver macrumors newbie

New member here.. Thinking about ditching android in favor of the iPhone 6. Right now we have 3 smartphones and 1 basic phone... On an unlimited data plan (been buying phones outright)

The question I have is the line access on the family share plans is $ 40 per smartphone if you subsidize or $15 per smartphone if you use the Edge program or buy outright... Is that correct?

2. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Exactly right.

3. bytheriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Only thinking about switching because we would save on our bill. Doing the calculations.. If you buy a subsidized ip6 64gb... Over the 2 years you would pay 150 more for the phone then if you just bought full retail

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Your calculations are off somewhere.
    Its almost about the same price.
    You just pay the subsidy interest free over 2 years.

5. bytheriver thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what I had figured.... If you buy a subsidized ip6 64gb it's $299..plus your smartphone line access will now be $40 for that line.
    If you purchase outright.. It's $749..plus your smartphone line access will now be $15..

So subsidized is $299 + $25 (extra per month.. $40-15) ×24 months(term of 2 year contract) =$299+600=899

Full retail is 749..

899- 749 is a savings of 150

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure if you're on old family plans I don't think they add an access fee. Just for the family share plans I believe.
    Maybe someone with verizon can give more details.

7. bytheriver thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes we are on some nationwide talk and text plan plus the additional 4 smartphones with unlimited.. I think those are $30 each/month... Our bill would be cheaper under the double data plan.. Figuring the $150 (40 gb) data bucket plus the line access for each phone.. I do believe your data plan gets the employee discount..

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh, then yes those older nationwide plans with unlimited data do not get charged a $40 line fee each.
    Only the family share ones get that fee.
    So probably the calculations need adjustment.
    But with Verizon the unlimited data plans are still unthrottled so if I had one of those I'd keep it till they pry it off my cold dead fingers:D

9. bytheriver thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought about keeping but we really only use about 20 ish gbs per month between the 4 phones.... I think our bill would drop by $90 a month

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Up to you.
    To me having the peace of mind not having to ever pay any overages is better. Sometimes 1 user can rack up tons of data and use up most of the portion thus throwing the whole bill off.
    Cause only takes a few hours of streaming video by my kids here and there and I'd rack up lots of GB's of data.
    My billing cycle just started and within the 1st day I already racked up 1.2gb by them watching Peppa Pig in the car:D