Verizon dropped the ball

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by purovargas, Oct 15, 2011.

1. purovargas macrumors newbie

I pre ordered my phone from verizon online and I received my phone yesterday in the afternoon, happy as can be because I went without a phone for two months so I could have the new iPhone and when I synced up my new phone everything seemed to be going well until I used it and then the problems started to happen. The phone did not let me send group texts and I checked my contacts numbers and noticed that the numbers were like 1234567890 instead of (123) 456-7890 or there were +1 on some of my contacts. The contacts synced up from my address book on my mac and I thought maybe it was a sync issue so I called apple and they couldn't figure out what was wrong until they asked if I could go into the settings and check the contacts tab and see how many options it gave me and it only had sort order,display order, my info and import sim contacts. So they checked the serial number and determined that my phone that verizon sent me was a U.K. locked phone for vodafone. They called verizon for me explained the situation to them, verizon said they will call me back and they never did so later on in the day I called verizon and I was connected with a woman who said that verizon would never make the mistake and send me a vodafone and that Apple has no idea what they are talking about. She insinuated that it was my fault and that I had a lack of communication with apple and there is no way it would work on their service. It's a global phone that will work internationally. She spoke to me as if I never dealt with a phone before and I was not inputing the numbers correctly and that the dashes don't mean anything and that texts work on her iPhone 4. I can't believe that verizon hires such ignorant people. Apple said they would exchange my phone so I am hoping that is true.

2. Hoya1 macrumors newbie

I had the same problems with my Verizon iPhone 4S with respect to the phone numbers of my contacts not showing up right and, as a result, not dialing correctly.

Here's what you need to do:

1) Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.

2) When the system answer press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"

3) Wait for the call to disconnect. You should get a prompt stating something like, "Settings updated."

4) Open the Task Manager and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications

5) Wait a few minutes (I waited 3 just to be extra safe)

6) Open the Message App or Contacts list to verify the fix.

If you are still broken, kill the Message App again, then reboot your phone.

It has worked for me - the phone numbers are now properly formatted.

3. iTundra macrumors member

iTundra

The +1 won't impact anything, that is simply the int'l access code and country code for the US. Every number in my contacts has a '+' & country code & number.

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I deliberately program all my phone numbers in contacts with a +1 so when I am out of the country I can easily still press on the name of the contact to call them.

5. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

My wife and I switched to VZ from AT&T yesterday with the release. I was working fine but her phone had a weirdness with contacts not aligning to the incoming call number. I narrowed it down to the phone section under settings and determined my phone number was showing as (XXX) XXX-XXXX and hers was XXXXXXXXXX which didn't make sense since International formatting was set to U.S. It also was even weirder when adding contact numbers to the phone you could see the phone try the (XXX) XXX-XXXX entry but was removing the formatting in favor for ten straight digits. I would have liked to try the trick mentioned in post two but in the end I restored it from itunes and restored her last backup. When VZ resent the activation it corrected the number and all her contacts were working again properly. I am honestly chalking it up to a busy day on the activation servers yesterday morning.

6. Hoya1 macrumors newbie

That's exactly it. I had been having the same frustration: numbers were incorrectly formatted, despite the setting being correct with International set to U.S. I kept Google searching the issue, trying different search phrases, before I found the fix of calling *228 (Verizon only, I think) to program/activate the phone. I was frankly surprised because the phone was already activated -- I could make phone calls if I manually entered the number, and it correctly identified my phone's phone number, but the formatting was wrong at xxxxxxxxxx instead of (xxx) xxx-xxxx. But it did work. Glad you were able to reset to get it working, too.

7. purovargas thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple confirmed it was a vodafone that I never should have received so they are trying to see if they can just swap it out at one of the retail stores. Apple customer service is way more understanding than verizon. It took three times with a customer representative from verizon to understand the problem and finally get it right.

8. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Have you tried a restore and then restore from backup? Easier than returning the phone...

9. purovargas thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want this phone seems cursed, lol. I would just rather start over from scratch with a new phone. If something else happens with this phone and it comes back as being the vodafone reason, I will be pissed.

10. purovargas thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple came through and replaced the phone and verizon said they will only give me a free otterbox cover to make things right. I still can't send group messages every time I try. Verizon said if the contact has the phone number set as something other than iphone or mobile it won't send texts. is this true? And if i turn off cellular data can I still send texts or pics? what does it restrict? I turned off my cellular data so I won't waste the data plan which is only 2gb, I just want to use wifi at school and at home.

11. kvizzel, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I have a similar problem, but I'm on T-Mobile!

It's annoying!!!