Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
Hi all,

I'm stuck in the dark ages when it comes to internet. My parents have not seen the light, and really don't care--they don't use the computer anyway.

But at any rate, I'm trying to show them how it can be inexpensive by having them look at Verizon's $14.95/month DSL package. Now on their system requirements page, it says compatible with Mac OS X 10.1-10.2. Now this may sound dumb... but does this mean they're entirely excluding Mac users with 10.3 and 10.4? Anyone have it running...?

Thanks,
John

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Verizon DSL will work with any operating system. The only part that can be a pain is the initial account setup, but you can cheat and do that with a regular browser if your machine doesn't run their install software.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
JohnEZ said:
Hi all,

I'm stuck in the dark ages when it comes to internet. My parents have not seen the light, and really don't care--they don't use the computer anyway.

But at any rate, I'm trying to show them how it can be inexpensive by having them look at Verizon's $14.95/month DSL package. Now on their system requirements page, it says compatible with Mac OS X 10.1-10.2. Now this may sound dumb... but does this mean they're entirely excluding Mac users with 10.3 and 10.4? Anyone have it running...?

Thanks,
John

if it'll work in 10.2, it'll work in 10.4 :)

just DONT let any 'rizon techno-boobs fool with your mac.....

connect everything, go to the newtork prefs, choose configure w/DHCP, clik on "apply now" and be happy !

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
I've been on Verizon DSL for over a year, and I started on Panther and am now running 10.4.4 so that answers your question, although as stated the account activation process was a slight bit confusing because they send you windows instructions, but we got it up and running (thanks to me).

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
LOL Great, just what I was looking for. Maybe with some luck, I'll convince the parents now.

Thanks again!
-John

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
JohnEZ said:
LOL Great, just what I was looking for. Maybe with some luck, I'll convince the parents now.

Thanks again!
-John

I didn't have to do much to convince my parents, stepdad works for Verizon so we got a discount on it which made it cheaper and faster than (at the time) our AOL ;).

JohnEZ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2005
amacgenius said:
I didn't have to do much to convince my parents, stepdad works for Verizon so we got a discount on it which made it cheaper and faster than (at the time) our AOL ;).

LOL Well, my parents say it's because I'm bugging them. But with them, it's a Catch-22... they don't care enough to discuss it on their own, and when you try to get a converstaion going about it, they'll say "Shut up and stop bugging me." So either way, I lose... :rolleyes:

-John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.