Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Verizon Edge - anyone going to do it? Questions...

I'm considering switching to Verizon Edge program for the IP5s. I've been with Verizon since launch day for the IP5, so about a year. Because I assumed my wife's Verizon contract last year (for work-related discount/monthly subsidy reasons), they moved my upgrade date to one year, not two, on a one time basis. So I am already upgrade eligible on 9/21/13 - right after the launch of IP5s. I could pay the $300 for the 32GB IP5s, sell my IP5 (as I'm going to), and be done with it. But I'm going to want the IP6 next year. I went from the 4 to the 5 and skipped the 4S for this same reason - I knew I'd want the 5 and didn't want to waste an upgrade on the 4S.

The Edge program changes this a bit and opens options.

The IP5s would set me back $35/mo. for a year on the Edge program but I wouldn't have to pay the $300 up front. That's nice, no big deal. But what happens if my IP5s is lost/stolen in the next year? Am I out the unpaid balance and screwed? I would think so, unless I am missing something. Sounds like insurance would be 'mandatory' which sets me back an additional $10/mo., so $45/mo. total - for 12 months.

Is that worth it for the IP5s? I guess that's up for me to decide ...

Anyone else considering the Edge program? I think we all know we'd be paying a premium just so we could upgrade yearly. But it may be worth it. Just maybe.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Only one that makes sense its tmobiles idea.
The other carriers tried to copy it or make up something similar but came out way short. if you calculate it its more like a scam than a deal:D
I wouldn't go for it but its your money. You decide.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Yeah I agree with the other two above, sounds like ripoff and definitely doesn't seem worth it nor does it make any sense to pay that much just to upgrade to an 'S' version.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Good for the carrier, bad for the customer. You have to give the phone back in the end and they get to judge the condition.

Picture this scenario. You're buying 32GB 5s. Lets assume you have a 32GB 5 to sell. Lets say you sell in for $400. You buy the 5s for $299 with a 2 year agreement. Put the extra $100 in the bank. A year from now, sell the 5s for $400 and add your banked $100. You now have $500 toward a 6. If the unsubsidized price is $749, you're only out $249 of your own money. That's shade more than $20/mo over the next year. Then when the 6s comes out, you are ready for an upgrade and the rinse and repeat.

To me, that works better than leasing a phone from Verizon for $30+/mo.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
T-Mobile is the only plan where you save. Verizon and AT&T plans you end up paying more in the end. Google it, a few sites have did a comparison with the prices and a break down.

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
So I guess it's either:

1) Keep my IP5 for another year and wait for the IP6.

2) Upgrade to the IP5s at the $300 subsidized price now and be without an upgrade next year for the IP6.

3) Go on the Edge program and pay an extra $40/mo. for the IP5s now and be able to get the IP6 next year without issue.

Decisions, decisions. I'm just so tired of my IP5 already...

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Such blatant generalizations here.

Its only a rip off if it doesnt meet your needs and financial requirements.

If you get a hefty discount on your monthly bill which negates the subsidy, it is actually not as bad as people make them out to be.

Especially if you are one to upgrade every single year.

It is like choosing between Android and an Apple device.If it works for you, dont listen to anyone else and do whats in your best interest.

MacKid1983

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
It's a huuuuge scam that obfuscates how hard they're nailing you in the ass.

Look at it this way - with the "old" contract pricing model, verizon is subsidizing the cost of your phone. The 32gb iPhone is actually $750, but you only have to pay $300 with a new contract because VZW is subsidizing $450 of that cost. But they're not paying $450 out of the kindness of their hearts - what they're doing is tacking on an "invisible" fee to your monthly plan, and forcing you to sign a 24-mo contract. If you work out the math, $450 / 24 mo = $18.75/mo. That's why breaking a contract requires you to pay an early termination fee - they have to recoup the cost of that subsidy from you.

The reason VZW edge is such a terrible deal is because you're now being forced to pay for your new phone TWICE. You're paying that invisible fee that's built in to your plan, plus an EXTRA monthly fee which you worked out yourself to $31.75/mo. Over one year, you've paid ($31.75 + $18.75) * 12 = $606. That's $606 to rent a smartphone for a year, almost enough to just buy the thing outright!

Putting aside the built-in "invisible fee" that we can't get out of paying, here's the math breakdown for a yearly iPhone upgrade plan over 5 years:

Subsidized model:
Year 1: $200
Year 2: $650 (full price phone) - $300 (sell old iPhone)
Net so far: $550
Year 3: $200 (subsidized phone) - $300 (sell old iPhone)
Net so far: $450
Year 4: $650 - $300
Net so far: $800
Year 5: $200 - $300
Net so far: $700

VZW edge:
$23/mo * 60 months = $1380 over 5 years

You are not saving money with EDGE. The only people that it is good for are people that don't have the admittedly large amount of money up front to pay for a new device, and also those who are too lazy to trade their phones in on gazelle.

AND for people who want to Keep their unlimited data plans.

ekinnyc

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
i had an extensive convo with a VZ sales rep online about edge, upgrades, and the meaning of life

i am currently on the unlimited plan. my avg monthly usage is about 2.2GB, since i am on WiFi when i am home. for sake of argument, lets assume the 32GB model of 5S, and that my current Android phone was $199 at new activation

option 1: pay full retail and keep unlimited data. here, you are still paying for voice+data based on subsidized numbers, so i would be paying $750 upfront, PLUS the $22.91 subsidy that is included from my initial 24mo contract (this is $750-$199 then divided by 24), which is, ignoring time value and opportunity cost, $1300 for the new phone. my montly cost, after employer discounts, would continue to be $94

option 2: upgrade for $299, lose unlimited data. given my avg usage, i can either go with 2GB, or bump to 4GB. This would drive my monthly cost, after discount, to about $114, so a $20 diff

option 3: upgrade to Edge and take advantage of the MAX program. according to the cust service rep, i would NOT be forced into the share everything nonsense, so my voice would be $59.99 before discount, my data would be $30 for 6GB, plus insurance, taxes, and $31.25 for the phone, my monthly cost would be about $125

also, with EDGE, at the end of 24mo if you dont upgrade, the phone is paid off and is yours to keep

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
Anyone do Verizon Edge program

Vz's edge program means you buy the whole phone, with the payments spread over 24 months. There is no cancellation fee, and after a year, you can upgrade. If you leave Verizon before 2 years, you have to finish buying the phone outright.

The total of the first year is the same as their $399 subsidized purchase + $30 upgrade feel (i.e. each month is $35). It's a break-even situation if you upgrade within a year. You lose money if you wait a full two years.

In the heat of the moment, I took this program, but I'm thinking I'll be pretty happy with this phone for 2 years, and should have just gone the subsidy route. I might call today and see if I can switch to subsidy, but I'll bet the require a return and repurchase, knowing that the same phone is no longer in stock, and I can't miss a day without my cell phone (used for work).

What did other Vz upgraders do?

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007
I was thinking I could expense this, but we have a cap on phone expenses, so that's not happening. I'm going back to the store to "return" my data program, and go back with the subsidy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.