Verizon Edge / other ways to upgrade annually

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by exi, Sep 13, 2014.

1. exi macrumors 6502

Forgive me if this is a needless question -- a cursory search on Verizon's (mobile) site didn't answer it.

My contract expires mid-November. A Verizon rep once said they'd revise that date to let me preorder the iPhone 6 on discount. They aren't going to do that after all, and I already have a Verizon iPhone 6 preordered through Apple, at full retail price, to replace my 5 and which is to be delivered 9/19.

I realize it's a several hundred dollar difference versus waiting seven weeks.

Verizon has otherwise been solid for me overall. Looking ahead, I'm trying to figure out the best way to let me comfortably upgrade to the iPhone 6s should I want to do so. Is there any way to get in on Edge without waiting weeks for an iPhone 6 now? Better to just use the resale value of the 6 a year from now to make it more palatable? Other options?

Appreciate the thoughts.

2. benboy12 macrumors regular

Yes, I was told that if you have been under contract for a year, you could "early edge". You would have to give up your current phone in order to "cancel" the current contract. Then you would start on the Edge plan just like you didn't have a contract.

I am not sure if you can change to Edge once you receive the phone? I preordered mine from Best Buy as a new line of service. I had plans to pay the ETF on my current line, so I could get a 6 at the subsidized price. However, I am rethinking that and may just early edge my current line. However, I don't know if that is something that Best Buy can do when I go to pick up my phone.

3. exi, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

exi thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info. Can anyone else clarify?

And, come to think of it: if Verizon phones are unlocked, and I paid full retail, why in the world does my order confirmation say I'm getting in on a new two-year contract having bought the phone outright?