Verizon Edge Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jediuia, Sep 14, 2014.

1. jediuia, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014

jediuia macrumors regular

I bought my phone from Apple, but considered the Edge program. Has anyone researched this? What are the benefits vs purchasing on a 2 year contract? It seems like you pay more in the long run, plus you have to give the phone back? I always sell my phone to make up some of the difference.

I know you can upgrade every year, but I have another line I can use the upgrade on next year, and so on...

Does anyone have any reason why the edge program is the way to go? Is it cheaper with the line discount on high data plans?

2. snoopykul macrumors newbie

i was considering going to edge as well.

from what i see its cheaper to go to edge if you have the 10gb shared data plan as you get a $25 line discount for each phone on edge.

for example,

Iphone 6 plus 64gb has a $850 msrp
    2 yr contract price is $400
    Saving $450 to be on 2 yr contract from msrp

But if you do Verizon edge its $42.50/month for 20 months(which totals $850), but there’s a savings of $25/month if you have a 10gb or higher shared data plan)

With the $25 savings per month(it drops to $17.50/month which $350 total in a 20 month period.
    So its essential $50 cheaper and you get to pay off the month in 20months instead of 24months and the phone is yours.

am i missing anything here? from looks of it, its better to go with edge if you can get the $25 line discount.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

Verizon Edge and AT&T Next are 0% interest financing programs where you make monthly payments for the phone, until it's paid off.

The only time you "give the phone back" is if you want to upgrade before you've made all of your monthly payments.

If you want to sell your phone yourself, you can still do that. Once you've made all of your monthly payments, the phone is yours. Well, its actually yours to do with whenever you want, ... you can sell it on month #2 if you want, you still have to pay off what you owe for it.

I have 4 lines on an AT&T Next 10GB family plan (which works just like Verizon Edge). With the monthly savings per line ($25 cheaper), at the end of two years, I pay about $200 less per line on Next than I would on the typical 2-year contract.

When I go to upgrade phones, I don't have $199/$299/$399 coming out of my pocket (per line) up-front (like I did on the typical 2-year contract) - I just pay sales tax.

Also, there is no "upgrade fee" per line on Edge/Next plans, like there are with 2-year contracts.

Depending on how much data you need/use, and how many lines, Edge may or may not be a benefit to you. You'll have to do the math. It's basically 0% financing for the phone, the ability to upgrade the phone before you've paid it off, and a discount on the monthly service charge.

4. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

I was originally going to do this. But I was told that in order for me to edge up. I needed to turn in my existing cell phone. Which I was unwilling to do. (Old phone was purchased on eBay) so anyhow they ended up canceling my order. And my upgrade isn't till December. They were unwilling to change that. So I have to wait now till December if I want the iPhone 6. (Unless I pay full price right now.)