Verizon Edge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cagcody, Jun 15, 2014.

1. cagcody macrumors regular

I need some advice. I upgraded to the iPhone 5S in October. I'm the type of person that likes to upgrade phones every year. Usually this means paying out of pocket one year and then the next year getting the subsidized price through the upgrade. I was looking at the Verizon Edge plans, and if you got your phone before November, you can qualify for the Edge plan. Now, I know this involves turning in your old phone for another one. I have a black iPhone but have always been wanting the gold. My question is whether or not this is a good idea? I've been looking on the website and I thought that you could upgrade after 50% was paid off, but it says 60% now. But I would only be paying around $8 a month for it after the discount since we have 4 lines and a 12GB plan, so I would get the $25 discount. The promotion ends at the end of the month, so that's why I'm trying to figure things out now. It seems like a good idea to me, since after 2 years most of my phones are just shoved into a drawer or used as an iPod in the car. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2. 617aircav Suspended

Yep g ahead and do it since you want the gold.

3. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

Bad, bad idea right now. New iPhones are probably coming out in about 4 months. You will be stuck with your 5s for 12 months under Edge unless you pay off the additional portion to get to 60% paid off. That will probably be another $300 to turn in the 5s and a get new iPhone. If you wait until October you will be able to get a new iPhone for just turning yours and paying the monthly Edge cost you plan to do anyway. So if you plan to get a new iPhone in the fall you are adding an additional $300 by getting a gold iPhone now.

Even if you don't plan to upgrade for 12 months you are paying around $100 spread over that 12 months to change phone colors. Not at all worth it to me, but people have different priorities I guess.

----------

By the way, my understanding is that Verizon will let you out of your contract and into Edge at the 12 month point (October for you, and when the new iPhones are expected to come out) if you turn in your existing phone. I wanted to clarify that in case I wasn't clear before.

4. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

Do you want a 4.7 inch screen?
    If not, do it.

5. cagcody thread starter macrumors regular

Well they still have a promotional period where if you got your phone before November you can trade it in and get another on the plan. But, if you do the plan online, you have 14 days to send them your phone. If you don't then they charge your bill $200. But I can sell my original 5S for $350-$400, pay them the $200, and still come out with a profit which I can then use to put down for the 6 when it comes out.

I thought that normally you had to be eligible for an upgrade in order to qualify for Edge. I'll have to look into it more to see if they let you do it after a year.

6. DAMAC3 macrumors regular

I have been told on the phone and in store that you could migrate to Edge from a traditional plan anytime after the 12 month mark if you turn in your existing phone. I never trust customer service people until they do what they say, but that is what I've been told. My 2 year contract runs out this month. I usually immediately get a new phone at the discounted price, but this year I am waiting to see what the new iPhone and new Note look like I think.