Verizon Employee Line & iPhone 4 "10 Month Wait" rumors.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kblakeshot, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Kblakeshot macrumors member

Can anyone confirm that a Verizon Employee or someone on a Verizon employee plan can not get the iPhone 4 for the first 10 months or else the will be indefinitely suspended from "Employee Pricing"?

My sister works for Verizon and I am on one of her employee family lines to get pretty much half off my unlimited everything plan (I pay around $54 a month) and she sends me a text thats says..

"We cannot get the iphone until they say. And if they find one on our plan then I will be kicked off employee pricing PERMANATLY!! We CANNOT risk it. So u will have to open ur own personal line. U can't even buy one from somewhere else and put it on ur line. It has to be active on a regular customers plan for TEN months b4 we can put it on ours."

I had to immediately go into work after receiving the text and can not bring in cell phones. She usually is not a jokester, but is she playing with me because she knows how bad I want this phone (have saved my upgrade since May waiting for this).

2. jacollins macrumors 6502a

What do you think? Verizon will cut you a break, or Verizon will screw you as much as possible to get money out of you? That should be your answer.

3. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps they're making sure paying customers will get the phone first :rolleyes:

5. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

I really doubt that. Verizon does as much as it can to try to get it's employees using their current phones. They didn't make their employees wait 10 months to pick up Droids, why would they do that with iPhones?

6. stewart715 macrumors 6502

Verizon has about 200,000 employees -- Could you possibly see 100,000 or so putting it on the company plan? I guess maybe...

Is that a big deal? To the 11 million they expect to sell, not at all. My guess is she is pulling your leg. They want VZW employees to use their current phones (especially the most popular ones).

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Amazon sold the Droids at 1 penny, have they EVER sold the iphone at that price? iphone =/= other phones.

8. Kblakeshot thread starter macrumors member

Are there any actual Verizon Employees that can confirm or deny this to be true? I am SO mad right now. This has to be a joke.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Probably not. I know some people who work at AT&T and they have the same policy when new iPhones come out. I think they were finally allowed to buy the iPhone 4 back in October or November.

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

My friend who's an employee says they won't be able to get them right away, but no time frame is given yet, they need to see the demand of normal consumers first.

11. Kblakeshot thread starter macrumors member

Which is stupid... because if Customer A walks in the store and all the Verizon employees have Droids, Customer A is going to say why do you have a Droid? Well if you work here & have a Droid, I want a Droid. Obviously not every Customer will say this, but I know there are tons of Customers that work this way.

Might be what they want though? :confused:

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I doubt that the customer cares what the employees have.

Sounds like you are just bitter tbh

13. MissyD macrumors member

Seriously? I've never, ever looked at what an employee is using when making a decision on a phone. I don't know about your situation, but it does make sense that Verizon wishes to supply the full charge customers with the first availability.

14. jacollins macrumors 6502a

i.e. "I'm leeching of my sister's account and I'm upset if I can't leech an iPhone at release off it too!!!"

If you want to live on the bleeding edge, expect to get a few cuts on the way. The company's in it for its own benefit, not yours. Undoubtably the phone will be in short supply at launch. Who does it benefit the most off of? A regular user at full price or you (who doesn't even work at their company) at a fraction of that?

I'm guessing not at release, but some time after (I'm doubtful it's 10 months though, that's pretty long). But it depends on how large the demand is.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Verizon has employees elsewhere besides the stores. IT, accounting, etc. They might never come into contact with customers.

16. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Same, although I did notice that all the Apple guys at the Apple store had iPhones. I don't know why that would be. :)

17. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

If I'm at a store asking questions about a phone, I generally look to see what phone an employee has on his hip.

If I see someone has a featurephone, I doubt he can answer my super-specific questions about a smartphone because he doesn't use one all the time.

18. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

LOL! The average customer could care less what the salesperson is using, he just wants you to go and get his new iPhone. AT&T was the same way and you could not get one for a while!

Yep, you are sounding BITTER!:mad:

19. MissyD macrumors member

Yeah, me too. ;) But on iP4's release day an Apple employee was in the preorder line behind me. I guess they can buy them at the same time but get no special line cutting authority! :)

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

My co-worker's brother works for verizon and he just confirmed it. They had a meeting a little while ago and the store manager and he told them they would not be allowed to purchase the phone and gave them the same threat handed down from corporate.... anyone activating one on their account will lose employee pricing. however he was not given a time frame, so your sister may have been pulling your leg or exagerating on the 10 month part.

21. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

whats the big deal? just wait for the IP5 release, July, pick it up in October. More then likley Apple is going to align the CDMA/GSM iphone release dates anyway. Just wait..you'll be glad..

22. schwell macrumors regular

I worked for Verizon. I got out as soon as I could.

I have worked at 6 different employers over 23 years and they were the worst.

Verizon policy seems reasonable from a business perspective. They are taking care of their customers first.

Plus, they generally treat their employees as an afterthought.

23. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

When i worked at Best Buy, we had to wait to pick up the 4 as well. anytime a new product is going to be popular, it makes sense to let the customers paying more to get it out first. I had to wait on the original PS3 launch as well

from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. although I seriously doubt itll be 10 months. usually its just as soon as there is an actual inventory level availible.

24. GoCubsGo, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

SO mad? :rolleyes: Jesus, like others have said, if the time frame bugs you get your own plan.
    This sums it up. You want it all and yet you're SO mad that you can't have it.

25. edk99 macrumors 6502a

So wait 4 months and get the iPhone 5 when it comes to Verizon.