Verizon Family Plan Conversion Question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Paix247, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Paix247 macrumors 6502

If I have a current Individual Verizon iPhone plan, can I take an iPhone (that I got off eBay), and add it to my account, and then convert my plan to a Family Plan? Will they let me do this without locking that phone in to a new 2-year contract? Curious, because I want to be able to upgrade to the next iPhone for the subsidized price on this new second line.

2. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Thats a tough question. I would think they cant tie you into another contract because you would just be adding a line. Its not like you got a discount off the phone because you wouldn't be buying off them. I would try calling or visiting a Verizon store.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I've seen this question around the forums before (can't find a specific thread) and I think the consensus (at least for AT&T) is to NOT use iTunes to activate the phone as it will not allow you to make the plan without a contract. I would go into an actual Verizon store for this.

4. Roxanne1010 macrumors newbie

Similar question but with AT&T

I have a similar question but regarding AT&T. I want to get my son an iPhone 5 and add a line to my account and change my acct into a family plan. I got my iPhone 4 in June last year, so I still have one more year on my line. I want to make sure that if I had a line to my account it doesn't renew my contract on my original line, due to end in 12 month, and it only starts a 2 year contract on the 2nd line. In other word, I'm hoping that adding a line now will just mean that the original line on my contract will expire in one year (in time to get a subsidized iPhone 6 ;)) and my 2nd line will be under contract for one year longer than the 1st line.
    I also want to make sure that it doesn't change anything for the data plan on my original line since I was grandfathered in the "unlimited" $30 plan.
    Although it's a simple question, it's quite complicated to ask it but I'm sure someone out there must have faced this already and will know the answer.
    One last question, how easy is it to change to a family plan when pre-ordering a new iPhone (in this case the iPhone 5, whenever Apple decides to release it)? Will I need to order it from AT&T or will I be able to preorder from Apple?

5. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I think it will renew your contract because adding an iphone 5 will be a two year contract at minimum?

6. Roxanne1010 macrumors newbie

Are you sure that it will renew the contractnon my original line, I thought it would only add a 2 year contract on the new line but keep the remaining contract time on the 1st line since I won't be getting a new iPhone for that existing line.
    You might be correct though.
    I need to ask an AT&T cs representative, but it sounds so complicated that I'm afraid they won't understand my question! They sometimes give wrong answers to much less complicated questions!
    Has anyone tried to add a line and turn their personal line into a family line?

7. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Yeah you're right, it will extend a two year contract to the NEW phone and keep the OLDER phone on the original contract. I thought you meant contract like original contract meaning how many years you're tied down to the carrier unless you pay the termination fee. You get what Im saying?

8. Roxanne1010 macrumors newbie

Yes I think so. As I said it's a complicated question but actually a very simple situation, I imagine that plenty of people are thinking of doing the same or have already added a family line to their single line and got a new iPhone for the new line but didn't upgrade the other iPhone. Just need to hear from someone who went through it maybe at the launch of the iPhone 4.
    Thanks for trying to help ;)

9. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Well I got my iPhone like 7 weeks ago and have space for new lines. Im assuming I will be able to add a line at any time and they could get the iPhone 5.