verizon fios and range extender

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benlee, Jun 1, 2007.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

so my girlfriend's father just got verizon fios. it is unbelievably fast. However the range of the supplied wireless router is horrible. I told him to get another router to extend the range. what do you guys recommend and how do i set it up to extend the range. any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

2. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

So jealous. FiOS is awesome. I had it at my old place but where I moved to, it's not available. :(

I only have experience with the apple wireless stuff...but it has worked really well to extend my range (airport extreme base station + airport express).

3. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

how do you extend it? does the express just automatically do it or is there a special way to do it. I'm pretty good at this stuff so you dont have to explain it too much but do i just use airport admin utility or what?

4. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

It doesn't do it automatically. You use airport admin I believe. I googled how to do it and there are guides on apple.com. It's pretty easy.

5. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i'm not sure what your "base" router is, but here's an article on extending the range of a linksys: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060609053254368&query=airport+express

i do this very exact thing, using an air express to extend the range of the linksys. i had a hard time setting it up wirelessly so had to hardwire connect the two routers initially, but then everything else worked out fine.

my other suggestion would be to buy the new airport extreme, which supposedly has fantastic range...no need for extending anything then...