Verizon Fios installer keeps popping up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PJterp, Sep 21, 2008.

1. PJterp macrumors newbie

So I had Verizon FiOS installed last week -- and the tech. that came installed the software to my computer via a USB drive that she had. Internet works fine but every time I start up Firefox, the Verizon installer package pops up in to my dock and I have to force quit it to be able to continue in Firefox. I've searched all over my computer (I think -- and I used spotlight) to find the source of this thing but I can't track it down.

It's not a debilitating issue, merely a nuisance, but I'd really like to kill it...

Maybe I'm missing something?

Thx for the input...

2. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

This is just a guess, but see if there is anything FiOS related in login items. Go to System Preferences, select Accounts, select your account name, and then click the Login Items tab. If there's anything FiOS related there, delete it.

Hope that works!
    Steve

3. PJterp thread starter macrumors newbie

nope checked that -- I appreciate the feedback though!

4. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

When it pops in the dock, click and hold the application symbol for the submenu, then click "Show in finder", and try from over there.

5. chipchen macrumors 6502

You might be using a copy of FireFox that is linked to the USB Flash Drive. Try this... drag FireFox off the dock... find it again in the applications folder and put it back into the dock from there. Or re-download firefox from getfirefox.com and reinstall.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Adding to applefan, select remove from dock. try that lol.

7. PJterp thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i got it -- don't know why i didn't think of this to begin with.

When it came up it appeared on the desktop too since it was a disc image. i clicked 'get info' to track down its source... found it and deleted it. problem solved. thanks all for your help!

8. douglasway macrumors newbie

Look in ~/Application Support for Firefox

The issue you are experiencing is due to an auto launch extension that lives in your User home folder, Library/ApplicationSupport/Firefox/Profiles

Here you will see your default profile and inside you will see an extensions folder where this FIOS activation app lives. Trash it and problem solved.

D

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I wish we had FIOS here. Comcast (via b.s. lobbying) blocked Verizon from entering the market here in NH. (they started - but then pulled out midway through rollout because of all the "problems" ) It sucks seeing the fiber optic cable 300 feet from my house, just hanging there.

I installed FIOS at my parents place - and it's EXTREMELY fast and reliable. Not to mention, cheaper than Comcast - without any bandwidth restrictions. :rolleyes:

I is jealous of you.

10. PJterp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your responses. yeah problem is fixed now, and i'm really appreciating the benefits of fios. It was really liberating to cancel my comcast account!