Verizon Fios issue...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dengar169, Apr 16, 2009.

1. dengar169 macrumors member

I just "upgraded" to Fios. So far it seems pretty good. Downloads are relatively quick. The reason I'm posting is because whenever I want to go to a new webpage, it takes forever and a day for said page to actually START loading on my browser. Is this a common issue with Verizon FIOS?

Here are my rates: 9236 Kb/s DL 1345 Kb/s UL Latency: 16 ms

It takes an average of about 30 seconds for my browser to even begin loading the first few images of a web page. However, once it starts, it is crazy fast. I timed/compared it with my parents AT&T DSL (1286 Kb/s DL) and it was actually faster HAHA! (when you factor in the wait time of beginning to load)

I appreciate the help.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

call verizon and bitch about how long it takes. They may have a different DNS server you can use too.

4. dengar169 thread starter macrumors member

Haha, that is my intention come tomorrow. I am unfamiliar with what DNS actually is. But if you and rdowns believe it to be the problem, I will definitely be researching on it.

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Domain Name Server....as in the Server(s) at verizon that fetches & translates web address numbers into the more familar www.yyyy.com..... they have several, as do all ISP's, and some work better than others depending on location, load, overhead etc.......

I would definitely "bitch" at verizon 4 sure, since they advertise their fios as being so blazingly fast......But I would also try the opendns ones listed above too. I did & it made ALOT of difference in my loading/browsing speeds.....

This could also be caused by some browser config settings too.....like pipeling, proxy's, maxrequests etc

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have Verizon FIOS and I don't see any lag finding websites. Maybe the DNS they point you to is flaky.