Verizon FiOS Questions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by celticpride678, Aug 11, 2009.

1. celticpride678

My parents has been thinking about getting Verizon FiOS installed in their home. It is available and Comcast really stinks now.

Here are my questions (and theirs too):

1. What requires them to dig? To elaborate on that question, what conditions are needed to dig. The reason I ask because a few of my friends had to dig and a few didn't.
    2. The router is currently located in another room than the telephone box. The reason I am saying this is because Verizon says they would install the ONT near the telephone box. Does this matter or not?
    3. Can they use the existing wireless router that they have, or is a Verizon wireless router necessary? Are there any pros and cons about using Verizon wireless routers?
    4. What is the deal with computers? It says that they need one primary computer to run software on? What software? Can it be a Mac? Also, they say to setup other computers it costs extra, can I just set them up without them doing anything?

Thanks for the help!

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You can use any router you want, but I think you have to ask them first.

Well, seeing as how Verizon gives you a HP Mini netbook, I don't think it would matter if it needs to be set up on a Mac or not.

You can set it up on the other computers yourself, it's nothing special, they'll just charge more for anything they can.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Will they be able to set it up on the netbook? Is yes, then that would be perfect and instead of ruining other computers, use a netbook. Perfect.:D

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yupp, it's the same as setting it up on a different computer, plus I'm sure a company as big as Verizon has Mac software for their stuff (If need to set it up).

I mean, I'm sure it's just crapware to load the wifi on, instead of using the built in one (Airport), or the Network Settings thing for Windows (Forgot the name of it)

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have fios and they used my current router. Linksys 8 port.

Don't know of any software that needs to be run on. The interface to the router is via webpage. No special software here. I have two Mac's and one windows box that I got after I had the fios installed.

6. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

I just got off the phone with them and they said that only 4 people can be connected to wi-fi at one time? Is this true? Is this only their router or their service.

7. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I had FiOS installed as soon as it was available a few years back. Here's my experience:
    -The software works fine on OS X. It's stuff they have to install for you, but you won't have a need for. Delete it when they leave.
    -When I signed up they were giving away free TVs, but it came by mail two months later...it's probably the same with the netbook
    -They didn't have to dig anything up. Typically if you have wires coming from the telephone pole, they don't dig. If your neighborhood has buried wires, they will.
    -Take the router they give you, and if you don't like it, don't use it. It's good to have around incase yours somehow gets broken. The rep lied--more than 4 people can use WiFi

8. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

This is false.

6 people (including myself) are using Wi-Fi right now.

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I wonder how fast FiOS is, Can someone who uses it give us a few numbers like:

- OX S software update: 1.9MBs.
    - Downloading from iTunes: 1.9MBs.
    - Downloading a file from the internet: 400kbs.
    - Loading a movie on youtube: 350kbs.

- Uploading: 700kbs max.

Thats my normal connection NOT FiOS, but i would be interested to see these kind of numbers from someone using FiOS.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I downloaded a 130MB software update last night at 3.9MB/s. :D That's on 25/15 FiOS.
    During the install, the tech didn't need to use my MBP for anything, I entered all the new account info on his Toughbook.

11. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

For now, I have one final question (unless I think of more):

Is it possible to have Cable without a Verizon Set Top Box? I know it is possibl with Comcast, but the Verizon setup could be different. I don't expect to get any special channels, just the basic (Nickelodeon, News, Fox etc.). Nothing like HBO or anything like that. Thanks for the help.

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660