Verizon Fios Router???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wayland1985, Oct 2, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

I'm trying to unblock the ports on my verizon fios router. But when I try to gain access, it wont let me enter the password.

Typing a letter in the password field makes it type several characters at once. It's very odd, and doesn't allow me access....

2. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

Ignore the several characters, it is a security feature..Just type in your password...(password1)

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't unblock certain ports such as port 80 and port 21; it's disabled by Verizon.

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Man that SUX :eek:

Especially seeins how port 21 is for FTP, and 80 is incoming connections.......

Just more Verizon crap I guess.....like the Bluetooth picture transfers being disabled non-sense on their early BT-capable phones.... cause they wanted to make everyone use their PAID services..... man they sUk!

5. mdhwoods macrumors regular

User name is admin

password is password or password1

i do not think they block any ports as i had a server running outlook web access with no problem. you will just need to forward them to your server. Which router do you have? The actiontec?

6. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I have the actiontec MI424-WR. I'm no expert in wireless network setups, but I've dealt with Netgear routers before. The interface for the verizon router is completely foreign to me.

I'm having one heck of a time getting my Adium file transfers to work, which is why I wanted access to the router. I got into the menu finally, but I'm having trouble figuring out what I should do, network wise.

My set up is this: I have the Verizon Router running most of the wireless. My office has an Airport Extreme (N) connected to the Verizon router VIA ethernet. (I don't get a great signal from the Verizon router in my office). I have the Airport set only on N, since it works very well with my MBP.

How should I set up the network? Keep the Airport as a bridge? Or make it think it has its own network? Should I try and open up ports on the verizon router, or should I DMZ the IP address for the Airport base station???

Any input will help.

7. mdhwoods macrumors regular

What is it exactly that you are trying to do?

I personally would disable the wireless on the actiontec and just use your other wireless device in bridge mode. have the actiontec dole out the ip addresses. The actiontec wireless's implementation is not very good. I had constant dropouts, signal strength issues and issues where it wouldn't give out ips. I disabled the wireless on it and use my airport express as a wireless bridge and no longer have those issues.