Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New York
i wanted to get the airport extreme so i can use airtunes, wireless printer and hard drive and the router should i get the airport extreme and anyone know how to set up the airport extreme with the actiontec router that verizon gives you i really want the airport extreme thanks bye.

hood

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Derik,

I had the same question and was able to get some answers through google. I am sure that people will have answers for this question here, but you need to give people more than eight minutes to respond the post.

Hood

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
i wanted to get the airport extreme so i can use airtunes, wireless printer and hard drive and the router should i get the airport extreme and anyone know how to set up the airport extreme with the actiontec router that verizon gives you i really want the airport extreme thanks bye.

I currently use the Airport Exteme and hope to get FIOS in the near future. I believe what you want to do is put the AE into "bridge" mode. This is bridge the AE to the wireless on the FIOS router. I'm not sure if the Airport Exteme had the airtunes ability like the Airport Express.

I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone where will correct me.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I don't have Fios but i have Verizon DSL. Which came with it's own modem/router. Their modem needs to be bridged, not the AE. You want the AE to be the main router. In the AE settings, you don't set it to bridge. I'm guessing it would be the same with the Fios.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't have Fios but i have Verizon DSL. Which came with it's own modem/router. Their modem needs to be bridged, not the AE. You want the AE to be the main router. In the AE settings, you don't set it to bridge. I'm guessing it would be the same with the Fios.

FIOS typically only comes with modem but could vary due to promotions.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
anyone know how to set up the airport extreme with the actiontec router that verizon gives you

Plug the Airport into the Actiontec with a short Ethernet cable. Turn off wireless on the Actiontec. Set up the Airport in Bridge Mode. Best wishes.

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
I have the FIOS Modem/Wireless Router and a Time Capsule, I turned off the wifi on the Modem and on Time Capsule under the Internet Tab I clicked on "connect using Ethernet-Configure IP4V using DHCP and Connection Sharing: (Off) Bridge Mode.

Then you have to run an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN port of the FIOS router to the WAN of the Time Capsule, or in your case, the AE.

Hope this helped!

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New York
I have the FIOS Modem/Wireless Router and a Time Capsule, I turned off the wifi on the Modem and on Time Capsule under the Internet Tab I clicked on "connect using Ethernet-Configure IP4V using DHCP and Connection Sharing: (Off) Bridge Mode.

Then you have to run an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN port of the FIOS router to the WAN of the Time Capsule, or in your case, the AE.

Hope this helped!

Thanks thats very detailed is the internet the same speed as before? and did the time capsule extend your wireless range?

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New York

Hope this helped!

is the time capsule slow when you share files?

kd_rome

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2004
wait wait wait, do i need to put the actiontec in bridge mode or the airport express and if so how?

The Airport needs to be in Bridge Mode, the internet speed is the same, the file sharing is a lot faster, because the Actiontec is wireless G while the Time Capsule is N.

You need to turn off the wireless on the Actiontec and use the airport utility to configure the bride mode.

Go to the tab called Internet and on the bottom click on "connection sharing" OFF - Bridge Mode

deriko100

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New York
The Airport needs to be in Bridge Mode, the internet speed is the same, the file sharing is a lot faster, because the Actiontec is wireless G while the Time Capsule is N.

You need to turn off the wireless on the Actiontec and use the airport utility to configure the bride mode.

Go to the tab called Internet and on the bottom click on "connection sharing" OFF - Bridge Mode

how would the files sharing be faster

minicoop503

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
how would the files sharing be faster

Because file sharing is within your home network, which uses all the speed of wireless N. The FIOS coming into your house isn't faster than even wireless G so you won't tell the difference there.

pjbella

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2008
NJ
Airport Express, OS 10.3.9 and Fios:WireLESS

Hi, Finally, after hours & hours, this worked: I didn't turn off the wifi on the FIOS Wireless Router but on my PowerBook (10.3.9 OS) I did the following: System Preferences~ Network~ Show Built in Ethernet~ Select TCP/IP, then configure iPv4: using DHCP. If you want to see the IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc. press PPP (next to TCP/IP). This is the same as kd_rome, and others' suggestions that i found, it's just that I couldn't find "Connection Sharing: (off)Bridge Mode" as I guess exists on Leopard and more advanced OS, which I should have!! And yes, I have an Ethernet cable running from the LAN on the ActionTec router to Airport Express (AE.)

I so hope that this helps SOMEONE so they can save themselves from the angst I put myself through!:p Verizon had very few Mac people to help out at all and Apple tried but...

Hope this helped!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.