Verizon fios with airport extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by deriko100, Aug 22, 2008.

1. deriko100 macrumors 6502

i wanted to get the airport extreme so i can use airtunes, wireless printer and hard drive and the router should i get the airport extreme and anyone know how to set up the airport extreme with the actiontec router that verizon gives you i really want the airport extreme thanks bye.

2. hood macrumors member

Derik,

I had the same question and was able to get some answers through google. I am sure that people will have answers for this question here, but you need to give people more than eight minutes to respond the post.

Hood

3. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I currently use the Airport Exteme and hope to get FIOS in the near future. I believe what you want to do is put the AE into "bridge" mode. This is bridge the AE to the wireless on the FIOS router. I'm not sure if the Airport Exteme had the airtunes ability like the Airport Express.

I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone where will correct me.

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I don't have Fios but i have Verizon DSL. Which came with it's own modem/router. Their modem needs to be bridged, not the AE. You want the AE to be the main router. In the AE settings, you don't set it to bridge. I'm guessing it would be the same with the Fios.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FIOS typically only comes with modem but could vary due to promotions.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Plug the Airport into the Actiontec with a short Ethernet cable. Turn off wireless on the Actiontec. Set up the Airport in Bridge Mode. Best wishes.

7. kd_rome macrumors member

I have the FIOS Modem/Wireless Router and a Time Capsule, I turned off the wifi on the Modem and on Time Capsule under the Internet Tab I clicked on "connect using Ethernet-Configure IP4V using DHCP and Connection Sharing: (Off) Bridge Mode.

Then you have to run an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN port of the FIOS router to the WAN of the Time Capsule, or in your case, the AE.

Hope this helped!

8. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks thats very detailed is the internet the same speed as before? and did the time capsule extend your wireless range?

9. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

wait wait wait, do i need to put the actiontec in bridge mode or the airport express and if so how?

10. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

is the time capsule slow when you share files?

11. kd_rome macrumors member

The Airport needs to be in Bridge Mode, the internet speed is the same, the file sharing is a lot faster, because the Actiontec is wireless G while the Time Capsule is N.

You need to turn off the wireless on the Actiontec and use the airport utility to configure the bride mode.

Go to the tab called Internet and on the bottom click on "connection sharing" OFF - Bridge Mode

12. deriko100 thread starter macrumors 6502

how would the files sharing be faster

13. minicoop503 macrumors regular

Because file sharing is within your home network, which uses all the speed of wireless N. The FIOS coming into your house isn't faster than even wireless G so you won't tell the difference there.

14. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

15. pjbella macrumors newbie

Airport Express, OS 10.3.9 and Fios:WireLESS

Hi, Finally, after hours & hours, this worked: I didn't turn off the wifi on the FIOS Wireless Router but on my PowerBook (10.3.9 OS) I did the following: System Preferences~ Network~ Show Built in Ethernet~ Select TCP/IP, then configure iPv4: using DHCP. If you want to see the IP Address, Subnet Mask, etc. press PPP (next to TCP/IP). This is the same as kd_rome, and others' suggestions that i found, it's just that I couldn't find "Connection Sharing: (off)Bridge Mode" as I guess exists on Leopard and more advanced OS, which I should have!! And yes, I have an Ethernet cable running from the LAN on the ActionTec router to Airport Express (AE.)

I so hope that this helps SOMEONE so they can save themselves from the angst I put myself through!:p Verizon had very few Mac people to help out at all and Apple tried but...