Verizon Fios

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dadsp33k, Sep 26, 2007.

1. dadsp33k macrumors regular

dadsp33k

Anyone have it? It just became available here. I can chose the 5mps, 15mps, or 30mps. i'm probably getting the 15 and FIOS TV.

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

A friend of mine got the 5mb deal and said that it definitely wasn't faster or more reliable than his previous DSL. For whatever that's worth... he's in Cali.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

One of our network architecture guys at work got it, had a bunch of problems with it (both the internet and TV), canceled it after a month of service calls where nobody could figure anything out, and is now going through Verizon billing hell. :(

I will say that FiOS is new to our area, so maybe they're still learning.

FiOS must really have Cox Cable scared because they've gone from having just one residential plan to now having many (including one that starts at $15, but I'd imagine that's to compete with DSL, not FiOS), most of which have SpeedBurst, which allows you to temporarily exceed your speed cap during a download, provided the network has some unused bandwidth available.

I'm happy with Cox Cable, but if they ever start pulling some of the stuff Comcast does, I'm definitely switching to FiOS. Thank god for competition. :)

4. dadsp33k thread starter macrumors regular

dadsp33k

i have installation tomorrow (they said it will take 4-6 hours..lol). I'm getting 15mps and the premium TV package. i'll post pics and reviews.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW it took 3 hours for my install, and that was with the house prewired for Cat5 and Internet only install. They had to go back and forth to the local "box" a few blocks away, and installing the battery backup unit/optical interface box took a while too.

I find it significantly faster than my 3 Mbps DSL, but no better or worse otherwise.

B