iPad mini Verizon for foreigners

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rtripa, Apr 25, 2013.

1. rtripa macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm a frequent traveller to the USA, and just last week I was at an Apple store in NJ trying to get information if it was possible to activate a Verizon Ipad Mini (prepaid data plan), while being a non resident. Nobody knew.
    I know that this is possible with AT&T (though not that easy), but the Verizon model will also work on my country of origin, Portugal. As you might have guessed already, the idea is to get the Verizon service activated when I'm over there, cancelling the automatic renewal when I get back here. Roaming costs are ridiculous, as we all know. :(

Anyone did this before? Thanks!

Rui

2. macalec macrumors 6502

I am not sure that it is possible because you need a US billing address. When you come back to USA, you could go into a verizon store and ask them.

3. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

My wife has a Verizon iPad with the prepaid service. I believe the previous poster is correct. If you have a credit card with a US billing address it will work. Ask in a Verizon store (or try online chat) whether a prepaid Visa or Mastercard would work (you can buy them in grocery stores and most places where gift cards are sold in the US).

You could buy a Verizon model in the US at an Apple Store and then try it out, and return the iPad if it doesn't work.

With Verizon prepaid, if you don't use any data for 5 months your account is cancelled and the micro SIM can no longer be used - you have to get another one. The easiest/cheapest way to do that is buy a few spares on eBay.