Verizon Gains 1.7 Million Q4 2013, despite Competition from T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple Trees, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Apple Trees macrumors 6502

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/verizon-adds-17m-subs-q4-powered-lte/2014-01-21

Looks like the Uncarrier is yet to slow down Verizon. They just added another 1.7 Million last quarter which puts them right in line with T-Mobile's Q4 numbers. So it would seem most of T-Mobile's new customers are being gained from Sprint and AT&T.

Interesting that 625,000 of these gains were tablets. The 200MB free data being offered by TMO doesn't seem to have affected them.

It will be interesting to see if the new Uncarrier 4.0 paying ETFs will be what it takes to finally challenge Verizon. I'm sure we would all love to see competition that forces them to lower prices.

2. I7guy macrumors G5

Vzw is not going to lower prices. They will provide more subsidies if anything.

3. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I think big red is pretty safe....they might lose a few to T-Mobile but they won't even feel it.....

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

This was prior to T-Mobile buying people out of contracts which started Jan 15th. Next reports are the ones i'm interested in.

5. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

The next quarter numbers are going to be interesting.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah next quarter will be the test. If T-Mobile paying ETFs can't slow Verizon, nothing will.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

This goes to show that saving a few pennies a month isn't everything. People really go value coverage (larger LTE network than TMo's entire footprint), speeds, and reliability. Things VZW has always done really well.

8. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

With the exception of:

1) No unlimited data at all (unless grandfathered).
    2) The most ridiculous pricing for wireless service, even for the most basic plan.
    3) Verizon's EDGE (not their 2G network ;)) is a rip-off, as you are essentially paying for a phone almost twice.

And doesn't it make sense that a company who charges exorbitantly-high prices should have the biggest LTE network. :p

9. Apple Trees thread starter macrumors 6502

Well it seems that people are willing to pay for it. Verizon has more LTE than the rest of the carriers combined. When/if TMobile gets their network up to par then they might be able to make verizon blink.

10. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Heck I think Verizon should be concerned even with AT&T. They are even more competitive then Verizon is right now with the $15 off a month for no subsidized phone and offer more data per buck. Verizon will start to feel it and adjust accordingly. We are in a period where the industry has no choice but to change to keep growth.

11. Raibyn macrumors regular

Raibyn

American wireless consumers are not the brightest out there. Verizon's prices and policies are insane, regardless of what your think of their network.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

i just got a new phone on AT&T Next but will probably switch to t-mobile early next year. i have 2 phones on my contract expiring first week of 2015 and one this september. by next year half of my galaxy note 3 will be paid off and i'll buy a Note 4 on T-Mobile or if there is an iphone phablet, i'll take that

13. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Again, price isn't everything to everyone regardless of what you think of Verizon. Verizon's coverage meets my needs. Others do not. No amount of savings means anything if I don't have coverage. YMMV.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

I couldn't agree with this more.

15. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

I just left Verizon and went to T-Mobile. ETF and good LTE coverage in my area made it tempting. I'm also saving $30 a month. The only complaint I have about T-Mobile is that I get horrible service inside my house. T-Mobile just shipped out a signal booster to me, that should help.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Data is the growth areas with saturation of the US market approaching. The carriers want to avoid the costs associated with churn and I think they will have provide more data for the buck.

As I said in another post if the two big guns don't support unlimited data at this point, T-Mobile will have to stop offering it also.