Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Anyone here have experience in purchasing certified used phones from either Verizon or Gazelle? I am looking to get 5 iPhones, likely the iPhone 5 version, for some family members. I'd like to hear any pros/cons.

I know I could find used on CL, Swappa, or eBay, but I would really prefer to simplify with 1 transaction and have the peace of mind that I am getting quality phones.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
It's crazy what both of those sell used phones for. Have you looked at the 5s on the Apple site. I know you can get the 16gb for $99 with a contract but I don't know what they cost off contract. Could be a better option.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I am not sure they are "crazy" expensive, especially the iPhone 5. From what I am seeing on CL, eBay, and Swappa, they are comparable. And I'd have the assurance of buying from a reputable source with at least a short warranty/return period, and getting all of them at the same time. Could I search and buy for less, sure. But I am more interested at this point in the viability of Gazelle and Verizon as sources.

The iPhone 5 is approximately $280-$320 (depending on storage) and the 5s is about $420-$440. The 5s is approaching full cost of a new unit, so I would likely just go new or go 1 step further and get new 6s (but now I am at about $3,000!).

I am most likely going with the iPhone 5. Again since I have to buy 5 of them, the extra $120-$160/ea is a big premium overall.

Also, buying subsidized is not an option. I want to buy phones outright, be it an iPhone or some other smartphone. Verizon is now offering a great new option for bringing your own phones (just kicked off last week I believe). They used to give you a $10 discount when adding a line to a shared plan (was $40 - $10, net of $30). Now, they are giving $25 credit, so the net of each new phone is just $15. This is allowing me to move 5 family members from their current plan over to my shared plan. They will spend the exact same amount monthly as they currently spend for dumb phones, and I will save about $20/mo on my plan and increase the data pool, so everyone is happy.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I also just did a chat with Verizon...they offer a 1 year warranty on their used phones. I think either would be very safe bets.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. I also just did a chat with Verizon...they offer a 1 year warranty on their used phones. I think either would be very safe bets.

A one year warranty on a used phone is a good deal.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
A one year warranty on a used phone is a good deal.

I actually find it hard to believe to be honest. I may do another chat with a rep (and save it) as I did not save the last chat.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I did confirm...the Verizon certified pre-owned come with a 1 year warranty. Pretty darned strong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.