Verizon gets SIM Cards, I'm on the Bandwagon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vant, Dec 7, 2010.

1. vant macrumors 65816

I think Verizon will get the iPhone in 2011. Yes, I'm jumping on the bandwagon of believers. But hey, why am I making a new thread when I can simply voice my opinion in another? Because my belief is that Verizon will have a SIM capable iPhone instead of a CDMA one.

Don't believe me? For Verizon's 4G LTE network, it recently released two dongles that can access the network for mobile laptop users. These dongles include SIM cards to access the 4G network.

[​IMG]

Granted they aren't Micro Sim, but we all know that they are nearly identical minus the size (easy to make).

This means that for any phone to access Verizon's 4G LTE network, it will need a SIM card. The only problem with this theory is that most 'rumors' are pegging the Verizon iPhone release at Q1 2011 (Motorola's CEO even had a reference here). This wouldn't make sense because it is unlikely that the iPhone will support 4G LTE without a new iteration (iPhone 5). It also wouldn't make sense to make a special CDMA phone to sell for a few months before the 5 comes out.

I have heavily denied that a CDMA iPhone would exist, and I still do. I don't believe Apple will make phones that can't travel the world easily, judging by the fact that their user base is much more 'wealthy' than the average phone buyer.

To sum it up, I believe that there will be a Verizon iPhone. It will not be an iPhone 4, but the next iteration. It will be identical hardware wise to the AT&T phones. I believe that it will come out in June, but announced earlier. I believe the MotoCEO is worried that the announcement will come by Q1 2011, but I don't think the phone will be out until Q2. I don't think AT&Ts exclusivity contract is still valid, simply because of all the problems that have been plaguing its network and image. This contract has to have some exit points or quality assurance clauses that will be exercised, I doubt two Fortune 100 companies would sign contracts without any of these clauses. With Android 4G phones already in existence, I doubt apple will wait until June 2012 to make a 4G capable phone.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oooooh, look another Verizon iPhone thread.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• meh.jpg
      meh.jpg
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  3. STravisC macrumors regular

this

4. cpalmer17 macrumors newbie

How long did it take to Photoshop the sim card?

5. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

those sim cards WILL NOT be compatible with the iPhone...cut or not

6. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

Ask Engadget, they received the device from Verizon for review.

Which is why I believe the 'iPhone 5' will be the holy grail for big red lovers.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Or, the Q1 rumours could be right and Apple could release the iPhone 5 exclusively on Verizon, with the iPhone 5 coming to AT&T in June as usual.

Not to say I think they would do this (it would royally piss off a lot of current iPhone users, for starters), but I can see Verizon pushing really hard for this. And it might be worth it for Apple to grow its subscriber base.

Of course, they might also simply release the iPhone 5 earlier than they had traditionally. If the iPhone 5 is just the iPhone 4 with 4G compatibility and a revised antenna (which is more or less what I would expect), then this is possible. Given the bad press the iPhone 4 got over the antenna, it wouldn't shock me to see Apple release the iPhone 5 earlier than is traditional...

8. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

If Verizon was the only cell phone company on the planet, I'd go without a cell phone. That company can kiss my ass.

9. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I hate their business antics as well, but when I go from 3G to Edge to 3G to Edge like 10 times a day in DOWNTOWN PITTSBURGH....yeah there's something wrong with that network...

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no one ever said they were....

11. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

Agreed those bastards took me to collections for .75 cents...three years after my contract expired. Nice book keeping skills jerk offs!! My bill was f'd up every month and could never get it corrected.

Same stuff happened out here in Harrisburg...horrible service .

AT&T has treated us like gold for over a year and a half now. Great customer service and have not dropped a call to date.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly. And if it's on vz it will be CDMA capable IMO.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

uhhh yes someone did...the OP proposed this...go back and re read

14. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

no, the iPhone will not go from one exclusive agreement to another...the exclusivity Verizon is allegedly seeking is AT&T/Verizon exclusivity to keep it away from Tmobile and Sprint...I'm sure AT&T will have the next iPhone first or concurrently with whatever carrier gets it next

15. mz100 macrumors regular

Before you get all excited... Verizons 4G technology is LTE.
    This uses sim cards.

Also, if the iPhone on verizon only worked with the sim card I don't think it would be compatible with their current CDMA network. I am not sure tho.

The 4G sim cards are not just for iPhones but for other 4G verizon phones.

16. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Them having sim cards means what......? Even an unlocked iPhone wouldn't work with them making this no proof at all.

17. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

The iPhone has been steadily adding bands with new iterations.

iPhone:
    Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

iPhone 3G:
    +Tri-band UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

iPhone 3GS:
    +HSDPA

iPhone 4:
    +Penta-band UMTS/HSDPA (800, 850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    +5.76 Mbit/s HSUPA

Is it really hard to believe that the next iPhone might be Verizon LTE 4G capable?

18. youngplaya0228 macrumors regular

I (like someone else in this thread brought up) thought that there will still need to have the old chip in the new iphone for this to be possible, so it can still use the old signals when the new ones aren't available. It's sort of like how we have 3G now, but when it isn't available it goes to Edge.

That's ESPECIALLY gonna be needed since you can probably count the number of places with 4G on your hands. I'm no expert on the matter, but thought i read that on the forums here before. If that's somewhat true, then it's right back to Apple having to add CDMA

19. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not a mobile network standards expert, but any phone running on Verizon's LTE network will need a SIM card. I doubt these new phones will include both a CDMA system and a SIM card system. It seems redundant to me.

I might be taking this quote the wrong way, but I'm led to believe that LTE chips have CDMA access built in (if needed). But I have to confess, I'm truly ignorant on the subject.

20. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

YoungPlaya had it right. The phone would have to incorporate both LTE and CDMA chips.

21. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

All verizon 4G phones will need a CDMA chip as well as an LTE one. Otherwise they would only work where there is 4G coverage, which is a very small area for now and will stay that way for awhile. The iPhone either isn't coming to verizon for a couple years, or it will have to have a CDMA chip as backup.

22. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I'm on the bandwagon, too...because I want threads like this to DIE!:rolleyes:

23. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

We were on the family plan with 5 lines with Verizon. Half way through the billing cycle they changed our plan without our consent and we ended up with a 1300 bill. I told them to fix it and they flat out refused. I told them to cancel the account and shove it up their ass. That was about 8 years ago. I haven't stepped foot into a Verizon store nor have I recommended them to anyone.

24. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Odd. What highway are you taking? I79 seems to be clear the whole time from Cranberry to Pittsburgh.

25. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

on the other hand, the iPhone isn't really famous for being among the first adopters of a new network technology / standard.
    the iPhone came with Edge only when UMTS was already a widespread standard.
    the iPhone 4 doesn't support 5Ghz 802.11n wifi

nope, not seeing it happening