Verizon GPS Data Voice Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rick3000, Apr 21, 2011.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I am considering getting a Verizon iPhone in the next week. I realize you cannot use voice and data at the same time, however what about the GPS? That is the only thing I can think I would need to use while also making phone calls.
    Thanks!

2. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

GPS brings in data for the maps so this is a BIG problem.

AT&T works fine, but for now you will be disappointed with Verizon. I am currently using Verizon so I can confirm that it is a problem. They say that one day they will allow data and voice at the same time...

R

3. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

If you have Tom Tom or Navigon, will it work then? Maps are stored on the device.

4. hobo.hopkins macrumors 6502a

hobo.hopkins

If the maps are stored locally, then you can continue to use GPS while on a call. You can test this by switching to Airplane Mode and trying to use a GPS application with locally-stored maps. It might not be as quick in determining your location, but it will work.

5. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Will Verizon ever get that under control? also will it pick right back up after hanging up from a call?

6. Vizin, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Depends on the timing of things. If Apple is moving to a dual-mode GSM/CDMA device, they need to have one that supports SVDO available, which might not make it this year. If that is the case, then I'd almost expect them to be able to pull of VoLTE in 2012 and bypass SVDO completely.

8. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

my vz phone jumps right back onto data once i'm done a call. No wait time.

I love it and don't find it to be a big problem at all because most of the time you're not gonna call someone or answer a call if you are at a critical point in following your GPS...

Most of the time you'll be on a highway or be semi-familiar with or have a general idea where you're going and you'll be fine making the call you need because you're not waiting to hear that next turn by turn direction.

People need to not worry so much and just get the phone. You'll love it.

9. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

You must work for Verizon.

Don't answer the phone when I am at a critical point in following the GPS? You are the forgiving type, I see.

The only reason I went to Verizon knowing that they were still stuck in the 1990's was because you friggin' Iphone people killed the AT&T network and I was not getting any bandwidth.

The Verizon sales guy was funny and said, "well, you can't do voice and data at the same time and that sucks, but it sucks worse for the phone not to work at all..."

R

10. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Always a lot of us dont use features lets say that other phones have. But its just nice to have for the 1 or time 2 times we do use it.

11. Vizin, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  12. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

GPS apps on smart phones do not generally have the maps built in. You might have a few "grids" in cache, but they are loaded dynamically if you drive around.

Hey, if it is ok for you guys, don't let me rain on your parade.

R

13. jvanlee1 macrumors member

When airplane mode is on, no phone, radio, Wi-Fi, or Bluetooth signals are emitted from iPhone and GPS reception is turned off.

14. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I have Navigon and a data connection is NOT required for turn-by-turn direction. I have a Verizon iP4 and I've been on the phone while running Navigon several times. All the maps are stored on the phone (~1GB).

15. wiesnerp macrumors newbie

I have a Verizon iphone. I am considering to buy the Navigon navigation software. I know that I should still work during a phone call since it does not use cellular data. Will Navigon navigation continue to give turn-by-turn directions while talking and do I still have access to the maps during a call?

16. Bonds79 macrumors 6502

GPS And voice at the same time, come on this is a BIG BABY non issue! I have done that like once maybe in my since lifetime of owning att iphones since 2007. It something that most normal people never never do.
    People get the panties in such a wad over the stupidest things. Complaining over Voice and Data, Voice and GPS at the same time is just you guys being big freaking babies.

17. rick3000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Thanks for the constructive comment. Because no one has ever used a gps and made a phone call while driving at the same time?