Verizon guy said iphone batteries only recharge 500 times

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mac-curious, May 19, 2008.

1. mac-curious macrumors newbie

...and after that, you cannot replace the batteries. You're...just out of luck! My contract with Sprint is, finally(!), up and I have wanted an iphone for the longest time, but this info worries me. Specifically, the rep said there is no way to replace an iphone battery and that the estimated number of recharges (before the battery dies) is 500. When this happens, you can't just buy a new battery; you actually have to buy a new phone. Can anyone here substantiate his claims? Is it just a competitor dissing another carrier's phone? Any help is appreciated, because I'm looking to get an iphone right after the June announcement.

2. robhedin macrumors regular

3. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Batteries are considered consumable parts, meaning that they have a life span and through normal use they will eventually need to be replaced.

A faulty battery - meaning not accepting a charge or discharging properly - will be replaced under warranty (assuming your iPhone is still under warranty). A depleted battery can be replaced at any time using Apples Out of Warranty Battery Replacement process:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

And yes, a batteries life-span is measured in cycles, not time. Cycles being how many times the battery has been charged and discharged.

4. karenflower macrumors 6502a

karenflower

Here's what Apple says:

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

actually sounds like an over-estimate to me, ~400 charge cycles is pushing it for a Li-ion battery

Apple will replace the battery for ~$80

6. rioja macrumors regular

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

It's your 1st post, so we'll be gentle on ya ;)

You got advice, from a rep from Verizon, about a phone AT&T is selling. A rival carrier, a rival phone.

Google is your friend: Apple battery iphone
    gives you http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

Battery life depends on the cellular network, location, signal strength, feature configuration, usage, and many other factors.

"A properly maintained iPhone battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 400 full charge and discharge cycles. You may choose to replace your battery when it no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs."

http://www.apple.com/batteries/replacements.html

After a period of time that will vary depending on use and settings, you may find that your battery will power your device for only a couple of hours, requiring you to charge more frequently. Rechargeable batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and may eventually need to be replaced.
    Battery Replacements

You may choose to replace your battery while it still has a little juice left, or wait until the battery does not hold enough energy to power your device at all to replace it. As with all batteries, proper disposal is essential. Check with your local waste or recycling company to determine the disposal method for your area. Putting any battery directly in the trash harms the environment.

iPhone Owners

Your one-year warranty includes replacement coverage for a defective battery. You can extend your coverage to two years from the date of your iPhone purchase with the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone. During the plan’s coverage period, Apple will replace the battery if it drops below 50% of its original capacity. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery replacement for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax. Apple disposes of your battery in an environmentally friendly manner.

Go to the source.

8. mac-curious thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, the way this guy made it sound, you could NEVER replace the battery in an iphone. I knew the battery would naturally grow weaker with repeated rechargings; thats natural. But having no way to replace the battery after it fails would have been horrible. Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll be going with the new iphone after the new ones are released!

And, yes, t0mat0, I knew there was a distinct possibility of the verizon rep giving me misleading (or just plain wrong) info, so, in my searching for the true info I stumbled upon this site. I figured I would just post the question here instead of searching further. Thanks for being gentle!

9. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

It is 500 complete charge cycles. Meaning that if the battery is completely dead, then a full charge.

After the 500 cycles, the battery is rated at 80% its original capacity.

Yes, you can't walk into a store and buy a new battery, you can however send the phone back to apple for a replacement battery.

Just assuming that you completely drain and charge your battery every day and a half, that is 750 days before you reach 80% capacity, or a little longer than 2 years. You might 3/4 charge every night (same thing). Do you really think you will have the same iPhone for longer?

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Apple's documents must always be read carefully.

The key phrase is "up to". That means zero to 80%.

If you deep discharge the battery a lot, or constantly allow its temperature to go above 100 F, you can lose 30% or more of capacity in months.

11. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Wait, so the Sprint salesman who convinced me to store it overnight in a 200 degree oven was lying to me!?

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

There are already companies selling batteries with tools and instructions for installing it. Like the ipod, the market for replacement iphone batteries will flourish and mature as people run down their original batteries.

13. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

14. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Dunno. Was that before or after you dropped it in the toilet / beer / lake?

15. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

by that time a new iPhone would have been released and it would be time to get rid of the old one and let someone else worry about the battery.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The Verizon guy is full of it. All batteries have lifespans (most phone batteries seem to do well for about 2 years). End users can't replace the batteries, but you can pay Apple to do it. I also find it funny how he claims to know this because someone who bought an iPhone on Day One would've had to charge it about once every 18 hours to have gotten to 500 charges by now.

It's some doofus working for Verizon trying to get you to buy a phone that works with them. They're probably just scared shyteless that their network is incompatible and it'll be a while before they can sell them.

If you really want an iPhone, don't be afraid about the battery. It wouldn't be taking up 20% of the smartphone market if you had to buy a new phone when the battery died.

17. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Even if you charge your phone EVERY night, 500 charges is still almost a year and a half. Pretty reasonable, IMO.

18. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

You should have heard the crap I got shoveled back in July when I was buying our iPhones. I went into an ATT store, not knowing that it was an ATT authorized seller, not ATT. Well I ask about the iPhone and they don't have any. He was trying to push some pos that ran Windows. The guy told me that the screen on the iPhone was plastic, and that some people had actually put their fingers through it because the iPhone was designed to use a stylus, not a finger. Told me that this 3G pos he had would do 750 KB [not kb] per second. He also said something similar about the battery and made an enormous deal about it not having mms. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I laughed at him and walked out.

19. LiveForever macrumors 6502

I would absolutely guarantee that every rival company has a crib sheet to give to its sales reps listing anti iphone propoganda whether true or not.

Iv'e see this before in many other industries.

its anti marketing 101.

As for the batteries apple would use the same suppliers as every other phone maker out there. There will be nothing unique about apples batteries.

I had a similar experience when I asked if Three (in Australia) are going to get the iphone as optus and vodafone are. The kid told me some crap about it being fragile, easy to scratch and unreliable-the touch screen doesn't work and millions of them have been returned. So I guess Three aren't getting it.

When you here stuff like this take notice as the thing they are going on about must be very very good to merit this very desperate tactic

20. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Well I put my iPhone on charge every night. But this doesn't worry me about the cycles left in the battery!

I will probably have a new iPhone or something in the next year anyway, so no worries.

21. abrooks macrumors 6502a

That's technically not a cycle unless the battery was severely depleted everyday.

22. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Apple has a great page that shows what constitutes 1 or 2 cycles and discusses partial charge activity:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

23. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Truth: "Verizon guy said iphone batteries only recharge 500 times"

But also truth: "Verizon phone batteries only recharge 500 times"

24. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac