Verizon Help

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Aug 13, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Ok I am cautious about this whole verizon data thing as i dont want to get raped in a sense

I currently have 450 min with the 500 text plan and called Verizon today to disable all data so i dont rack up internet charges on accident. The did confirm I have data restricted for internet and such

Now here is where I am confused. I look online at "myverison" and it says I have used 0 kb of data. However on my phone under recent calls->view timers i see that I have used 24kb of data. How?

So my questions are these

1) Does text and picture messaging count as data (part of my plan) so its free although it will still show up as data?

I am trying to find ways to get ringtones on my phone and when I connect it to bluetooth I have ony the mysounds folder

I can only play these sounds if I go to "Get it Now" on my phone then browse for it on my phone

2) Is Get it Now free if i view mysounds, mypicture, myvideos and such?

3) The trick to get a ringtone I have found is go to get it now, my sounds and pix message the sound to myself and then save as a ringtone. Is this free? I saw it increased my data usage but is it because it was a text/pix message that was part of my plan?

Thanks for your help

2. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

surely some of you are familiar with verizon?

3. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Im assuming you dont have a PDA/Smartphone. So SMS/MMS doesnt count as data. So it won't show up under My Verizon as data.
    Im pretty sure get it now uses minutes only.
    And im not exactly sure what your doing to get the ringtone. How do you get it from Get it now to a pix message? You can always make ur own ringtone and bluetooth it to your phone (assuming u have a mac) .

4. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Actually, MMS (picture mail) does count as data(this is a question i was sure to ask when getting my phone), which is likely where it is coming from, however my wife has a treo, with internet restricted, and she cant even receive pictures- she can send them however.

I on the other hand do not have internet restricted and can send and receive pictures- with no additional charge cause i have teh messaging plan..

I have a samsung i760 btw. .

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

my plan is "500 text and pix flix with unlimited in messeging"

i do make my own ringtone on my mac and then bluetooth it to the "mysounds" folder on my phone

However, to get to mysounds on my phone, i have to go to "get it now" then "music and tones" then "mysounds". this is where the file i bluetooth'd resides

to make it a ringtone, i select the file, then send it as a pix message to myself

upon receiving it, i can "save as ringtone" and it will then be in my ringtones folder

i had called verizon and they said that connecting my phone via bluetooth to my mac counts as data. THAT cant be TRUE can it???

6. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

To the phone, yes it does. To your verizon bill/service

no.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

so free to do then?

8. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

PDAs are different. Messaging does count as data, however, you dont get charged data fees, just messaging fees (unless ofcourse if you have a messaging plan).

9. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Yeah lol.