Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
If an additional $33 per month is going to make or break you, then you might not be able to afford a smartphone in the first place. :rolleyes: You want cheap, go with MetroPCS and then deal with terrible coverage. You want good coverage in nearly every place, pay for Verizon. You get what you pay for.

For the record, I'm not saying I support Verizon's changes, but that it's really not something worth getting that upset about. Not like Verizon holds a gun to your head and forces you to pay for service through them.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
I only think the share everything plan is good if you have more than one line or if you have a tablet connected.

Between my wife and I, we have two iphones and two ipads. With this plan, we save over $40 a month (based on the cheapest data for the ipad). Another benefit is that our ipad lines are actually eligible for upgrades, so I plan to transfer those upgrades to my iphone lines to get the new iphone 5. We can basiclly upgrade every year now.

nixiemaiden

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I only think the share everything plan is good if you have more than one line or if you have a tablet connected.

Between my wife and I, we have two iphones and two ipads. With this plan, we save over $40 a month (based on the cheapest data for the ipad). Another benefit is that our ipad lines are actually eligible for upgrades, so I plan to transfer those upgrades to my iphone lines to get the new iphone 5. We can basiclly upgrade every year now.

Do you know if this is the same with AT&T? And is it still only $10 extra a month for each iPad even if you buy an iPhone with that line?

Doctorsti

macrumors regular
May 30, 2006
I thought the cheapest plan was 2GB for 30 dollars a month plus the smartphone adjustment of +$40 making the total $70 for a 2GB plan unlimited text and calls nationwide.

70 bucks isn't too bad really

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
if you're single go prepaid, if multiple lines than the AT&T mobile share plans are pretty good. especially if you have a mix of voice/data people

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth

By definition the share plans should be if you have multiple devices. In that case, sure, it might be more cost-effective. But my current understanding is I'll have to buy a share plan - even with only a single device, upping my monthly bill by nearly 50%? This is crap!

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, I went to Sprint. Sprint actually has a really good reputation in my city. There's next to no LTE, but I'll survive. I don't need super-fast download speeds on a phone. And I get unlimited, unthrottled data with Sprint and it's still cheaper than Verizon.

There's no reason to rationalize their changes. They're trying to make more money. Period.

iphone46

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Keep in mind on a family plan a additional line would be $40. However, I think for a individual plan they could charge a little less.

phillypharm

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2012
I thought the cheapest plan was 2GB for 30 dollars a month plus the smartphone adjustment of +$40 making the total $70 for a 2GB plan unlimited text and calls nationwide.

70 bucks isn't too bad really

No it's 70 for 2gb of data which includes unlimmited talk and text plus 40 per smartphone.

----------

I don't currently have Verizon. Would these 'non-advertised' plans be available only to existing customers?

Maybe, I'd call and ask a few times until you get a rep that can do it.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
It is practically the same as AT&T Mobile Share and about $10 more than Sprint per line. What is costing you is the 4GB plan. Try 1 or 2GB to save money.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So I've been trying to decide between Verizon vs. AT&T. That is until just now when I went to build an order on the Verizon site and the cheapest 2GB option is $60/mo, but here's the kicker - ON TOP OF THAT I HAVE TO PAY A $40/MO SMARTPHONE ACCESS FEE TO USE MY $60/MO PLAN! I then chatted with Verizon customer srv and they confirmed this. No basic, non-shared plans available.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!PURE EXTORTION!
HOW DO THEY GET AWAY WITH THIS, AND HOW DO THEY COMPETE WITH AT&T?

Yeah, that's what I've been wondering honestly (I mean they're fine plans if you have a lot of people and you talk a lot or text a lot or have a lot of devices but if you don't use minutes that much or text and you only have one device.. they are a rip off. And to force you to use that if you are one or two people is ridiculous).

I actually am boggled only now am I seeing some one upset (I suspected maybe I had heard wrong that if you wanted the iphone 5 subsidized, new or returning, that I'd hear a lot more uproar cause I was sure there would be some people who would realize how much Verizon was increasing prices on them if they wanted to take advantage of subsidized prices).

----------

AT&T now does the same thing with their plans too ($40/month for smartphone access). They're all extorting the customer.

AT&T still gives you the option of non shared data plans. Which are a lot cheaper if you are one or two people (particularly if you don't use minutes or text a lot).

For example, for me and my roommate it costs about 110 dollars for both of us. That is with both of us getting 3 GBs each (actually unlimited but let's compare what is actually available if you aren't grandfathered ;) ) of data, no texting (cause we don't text) and enough minutes we accumulate rollover minutes (we have no use at all of unlimited minutes). And that's including taxes.

IF we were to go to Verizon's cheapest plan for us, it would cost 30 dollars more and we both would have to split 1 GB (I would use more than that in a month alone!).

So, I don't see why people are saying Verizon and AT&T are the same price... depending on your situation, Verizon is far more expensive.

----------

They compete with AT&T because AT&T's prices are not much better. In fact, if you go the mobile share route like the Verizon plan you're likely to pay about the same give or take a few bucks.

The only major difference right now is that AT&T is not forcing customers into mobile share plans just yet, so you can potentially custom tailor a plan that's a little cheaper. But frankly, it's not going to be that much cheaper.

Uh, yes it is... notice above for 30 dollars less me and my roommate get 6 x the data (between us both). Sure, we get no texting and limited minutes, but we are getting far more minutes than we need and since imessage (Where most my friends have iphones) I may use 2-5 texts that aren't imessage, so maybe 1.25 on top of that for per text charge (and 1.25 a month is still far cheaper than 30 dollars a month).

So, yes, AT&T is far cheaper depending on your needs because they allow you to tailer your plan better rather than force you on the shared plans.

----------

If an additional $33 per month is going to make or break you, then you might not be able to afford a smartphone in the first place. :rolleyes: You want cheap, go with MetroPCS and then deal with terrible coverage. You want good coverage in nearly every place, pay for Verizon. You get what you pay for.

For the record, I'm not saying I support Verizon's changes, but that it's really not something worth getting that upset about. Not like Verizon holds a gun to your head and forces you to pay for service through them.

An additional 33 dollars a month = 396 dollars a year or 792 dollars for the 2 year contract. Even if you can afford it, why? Unless no other carrier has decent coverage in your area (other words it's either Verizon or a lot of dropped calls or ununderstandable calls), I could think of a lot better things I would want to spend that money on when I don't have to.

bidwalj

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2007
Do you know if this is the same with AT&T? And is it still only $10 extra a month for each iPad even if you buy an iPhone with that line?

I don't know how AT&T does but on verizon, yes it still remains $10 a month. The type of line doesn't change if you transfer the upgrade. The way I look at it is that if I'm NOT doing this, I am losing money. Verizon is handing me over a subsidy on a line that I will may $10 on no matter what. Even if i eventually wanted to cancel the data line during the two years, I can always pay them back with the ETF.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Smartphone Shared Plan

AT&T's plan is not logical nor cheaper.

attachment.php

Attachments

• wireless-plans.png
    wireless-plans.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 544

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

It's not a make or break you type of thing.
It's just a rip off and some people unlike you don't like to throw their money away.

bszelda

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
I pay $92 per month with ATT. That includes 450 minutes (the minimum voice plan), unlimited messaging, and 2GB data. :p

Edit: $40 + $20 + $25 plus $7 taxes, etc. = $92

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I don't call paying an extra $33 per month for superior coverage throwing my money away. Yeah, if you have good AT&T/insert other carrier coverage in your area and you rarely venture out of that place, it makes sense to save the cash. In my case, though, I travel a lot and in my state (Michigan) the coverage of other carriers besides Verizon isn't very good in most areas. Since I need to have good coverage everywhere I go for work purposes, I'm content to stick with Verizon.

BTW, I'm actually a very frugal person who cuts costs in as many areas as I can. I just don't mind paying extra for something I know I'm going to use a lot or something I know is going to be better than something that's cheaper. You pay for quality, you get quality.

Again, you want to switch, that's fine. Do what you need to. But realize that we're most likely paying extra for all of the new technology Verizon is rolling out around the country for 4G LTE. I know people miss unlimited data (which is something Verizon also took away) but c'mon, we couldn't continue on with that forever...at least not until they find a way to manage it so that the data hogs don't ruin the experience for everyone else. I'm just not seeing the point in whining over a few hundred extra a year in exchange for service that just works. Kind of like the iPhone.

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
I hope I don't come off wrong but......

People complaining about their cell phone bill is kinda cry baby. crying about monthly bill is kinda like the dude who goes out and buys a sportscar and complains about having to put 93 gas in it instead of 87.

There are other options out there.

Pre paid
T mobile.

No need to jump on a forum and make a stink about a 100 dollar cellphone bill. We all pay that.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
I've got my sister, bro in law and nephew on my account, plus three more and I ended up saving them over $80 a month while reducing my monthly bill personally by over $10, so I am happy.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
The plan works for me, but I have (2) LTE MiFi's, (1) iPad 3 LTE, (1) Smartphone (soon to be an iP5) and a dumb phone with 12GB of data which last month was ok, but this month I am peaking a lot higher and I need to check why.

Still the new share everything plan is only of value with the more devices you add, especially if you put a tablet (iPad) on there for $10 a month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.