Carrier Verizon Honked Up Activation

Sheboygan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
St Louis, USA
Like many people posting on the Verizon thread, Activation is failing at the point where you are asked to enter the billing zip code and Verizon account PIN. You get three attempts and then it instructs you to call 1-800-My-iPhone. Tried that and they know nothing- total waste of time.

Called Verizon direct from my existing 8+ and the automated system noted that I was attempting to activate a new phone and said "press 1 to activate your new phone". I did- BIG mistake. It then deactivated the 8+, but the Xs still failed at the same point of billing zip code and PIN.

Called Verizon and spent 1.5 hours on the phone with them and Apple with no success. Apple even had me force a complete restore by downloading iOS 12 for a clean start on the new Xs 256 GB. No resolution. Apple noted they had seen these reports on their tech messaging system.

The strange thing that the new Xs shows as the current activated device on my Verizon account web site, but since you can't get past the Activation screen- it's about as useful as a brick.

My wife gets home and we try to activate her new Xs Max (upgrade from 8+) and it fails the exact same way at the billing zip code and PIN. So is this an account thing at Verizon?

They really messed up on this.

Reactions: vtboyarc

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I used the last four digits of my social and it didn’t work. Used my pin and it worked. Guess I was lucky.

Vorskyr

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2018
I'm having the same problem.... tried switching SIMS from my current iPhone X, no luck... tried changing the PIN, twice... no luck... got to tier 2 support then they sent me to Core (whatever that is) they said they couldn't help because the phone was showing active on the account... now my iPhone X is deactivated and the XS Max is still not getting past the activation screen... then I got disconnected from Verizon so now I'm on hold again waiting on someone to answer so I can go through it all again.

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
Omaha
I used the last four digits of my social and it didn’t work. Used my pin and it worked. Guess I was lucky.
I've tried both, and it hasn't worked, been a bummer. Been on the phone with Apple, they said it's a Verizon issue. Verizon says its an Apple issue.
I've had my new phone for 9 hours now and can't use it, and at this point, I have no idea what to do
[doublepost=1537572818][/doublepost]
Like many people posting on the Verizon thread, Activation is failing at the point where you are asked to enter the billing zip code and Verizon account PIN. You get three attempts and then it instructs you to call 1-800-My-iPhone. Tried that and they know nothing- total waste of time.

Called Verizon direct from my existing 8+ and the automated system noted that I was attempting to activate a new phone and said "press 1 to activate your new phone". I did- BIG mistake. It then deactivated the 8+, but the Xs still failed at the same point of billing zip code and PIN.

Called Verizon and spent 1.5 hours on the phone with them and Apple with no success. Apple even had me force a complete restore by downloading iOS 12 for a clean start on the new Xs 256 GB. No resolution. Apple noted they had seen these reports on their tech messaging system.

The strange thing that the new Xs shows as the current activated device on my Verizon account web site, but since you can't get past the Activation screen- it's about as useful as a brick.

My wife gets home and we try to activate her new Xs Max (upgrade from 8+) and it fails the exact same way at the billing zip code and PIN. So is this an account thing at Verizon?

They really messed up on this.
I am in the same exact boat as you.
Is there a Verizon thread on this forum? Can't seem to find it. Edit: found it

ugh, what a discouraging launch day this has been for me

johnnybeagle

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2017
I had this issue this morning when I picked up my Apple.com order from the UPS hub

I called the Verizon support line and the lady took my ICCID and IMEI, then hung up with me with instructions on how to activate the new phone. I tried, and still got the error. I ended up plugging into iTunes, trying 00000 for my zip code and 0000 for the PIN, then tried my correct zip and pin, and it finally went through. By the time the phone got to the next screen, the Verizon lady called me back to confirm it worked.

Good luck to everyone trying

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I've tried both, and it hasn't worked, been a bummer. Been on the phone with Apple, they said it's a Verizon issue. Verizon says its an Apple issue.
I've had my new phone for 9 hours now and can't use it, and at this point, I have no idea what to do
[doublepost=1537572818][/doublepost]

I am in the same exact boat as you.
Is there a Verizon thread on this forum? Can't seem to find it. Edit: found it

ugh, what a discouraging launch day this has been for me
Wow that’s horrible. Hope it gets fixed for you ASAP.

Reactions: vtboyarc

vtboyarc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2011
Omaha
I had this issue this morning when I picked up my Apple.com order from the UPS hub

I called the Verizon support line and the lady took my ICCID and IMEI, then hung up with me with instructions on how to activate the new phone. I tried, and still got the error. I ended up plugging into iTunes, trying 00000 for my zip code and 0000 for the PIN, then tried my correct zip and pin, and it finally went through. By the time the phone got to the next screen, the Verizon lady called me back to confirm it worked.

Good luck to everyone trying
Interesting, so doing the 0's first did something? Maybe I should try that...I am out of ideas

Sheboygan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
St Louis, USA
I was browsing activation trouble threads on here and found one from a few years ago where someone suggested the 0's

Dunno how it worked but the very next try it went through
I tried it and it did not work. I also tried using the Verizon web site and switching/activating a new device and it does not work. Very frustrating. I have a new Apple Watch sitting here that can't be paired and activated besides our two new iPhones.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
I'm having the same problem.... tried switching SIMS from my current iPhone X, no luck... tried changing the PIN, twice... no luck... got to tier 2 support then they sent me to Core (whatever that is) they said they couldn't help because the phone was showing active on the account... now my iPhone X is deactivated and the XS Max is still not getting past the activation screen... then I got disconnected from Verizon so now I'm on hold again waiting on someone to answer so I can go through it all again.
Restart your phone

I think that will fiox it

Sheboygan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
St Louis, USA
Restart your phone

I think that will fiox it
Does restarting the Xs 30 times help? Seriously, that was one of the first things I tried 6 hours ago and 5 times with Verizon and Apple on the phone. Accounts have been corrupted somehow. I have two new Xs that do the same thing.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
I had this issue. I spent four hours on the phone between Verizon and Apple. I changed my PIN on the Verizon site, called on the phone to get them to change it again and they did. Nothing worked until I used my old billing ZIP code with the new PIN. Verizon has my new, correct ZIP code and has since August 1st but... it was the old ZIP code for me.

Plugging in the phone and opening iTunes allows you to retry at least. If you get locked out, unplug the phone and try it again. Switching SIMs supposedly worked in one case. They also had me try, 00000 zip and 0000 pin, last four of my phone number as my pin, 9999 pin as well. Verizon really tried hard to help me but Apple's support was the worst. Ugh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.