Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Does the hotspot feature work when you just get service with Verizon with the prepaid plan you buy right on the iPad? I heard it only works only on postpaid plans that you have to activate by signing a month to month contract.

So if I just buy data on right on the Verizon iPad will get the hotspot feature???

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Just read a article online that said it didn't. I'm returning my att iPad for this feature so I hope it works.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It works... I am on prepaid.

I cancelled it right away so it does not reoccur (you then have 30 days or the remainder of your data plan which ever comes first) and I need to activate it once every 5 months to keep my account active. Loving it so far... VERY fast. I tether it to my iPhone while I'm watching movies on my iPad... used up all my phone's data for the month... well getting too close to comfort at mid month.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Does the hotspot feature work when you just get service with Verizon with the prepaid plan you buy right on the iPad? I heard it only works only on postpaid plans that you have to activate by signing a month to month contract.

So if I just buy data on right on the Verizon iPad will get the hotspot feature???

It works. At first, it doesn't really show up in settings as obviously as it should. But, if you go to network settings you'll see it there and it will force it to go to the settings menu on the side as its own option/selection.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
It works, but the iPad screen has to stay on, if not, it looses the connection, and u have to manually reconnect every time. Very annoying.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I wish we could prepay for say 5GB and then keep it for longer than 30 days!! At least let us use/keep it for 90 days, if not more!! Then, top up again, as needed..

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Well, walk away from it until it disconnects, than come back and see if it auto connects, I'm eagerly waiting for your answer. Thanks

I just did. I had to go the kitchen. I actually forgot that I connected it. The device was all way in the living room.

EDIT: I brought the iPad into the kitchen smart cover closed. Opened it and still had 1 connection (the same connection) active.

Last edited:

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
I just did. I had to go the kitchen. I actually forgot that I connected it. The device was all way in the living room.

EDIT: I brought the iPad into the kitchen smart cover closed. Opened it and still had 1 connection (the same connection) active.

Well, if you step far enough that it disconnects, it DOESNT automatically reconnect, if you can check it, I would appreciate, because maybe something is wrong with mine. Thanks

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Well, if you step far enough that it disconnects, it DOESNT automatically reconnect, if you can check it, I would appreciate, because maybe something is wrong with mine. Thanks

What if you travel to the moon, does it connect then?

I think you are expecting too much from the connection ability.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
What if you travel to the moon, does it connect then?

I think you are expecting too much from the connection ability.

I will not comment to your first brilliant remark, I'll just say that unlike wifi, when you leave your hose with say an iPhone and come back later, it will auto reconnect, with this "hot spot" it does not. Simple. You have to reconnect manually, every time.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I will not comment to your first brilliant remark, I'll just say that unlike wifi, when you leave your hose with say an iPhone and come back later, it will auto reconnect, with this "hot spot" it does not. Simple. You have to reconnect manually, every time.

Must be something to do with iOS. It reconnects just fine tethering to my Verizon Moto Xoom LTE.

Doesn't sound like a big problem, more annoying than anything else. I wonder if iOS sleeps the connection if no clients are connected to save battery. It would be interesting to try tethering your PC to the iPad and moving another system into and out of range to track the behavior.

Cheers,

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

So what? Just reconnect.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

Okay, I just did it. Connect my MBP and iPhone 4S to the hotspot then I turned off the screen, put the smart cover on. I watched the screens of the MBP and iPhone and still connected. Also made sure it also had connectivity by browsing. Lastly, I walked to the kitchen, took off the smart cover and I had to enter my passcode. At this point it only had a flashing blue menu bar with no number of connections. Once I entered my passcode, it showed I had two connections.

So, I'm not really sure what you're asking/expecting here? Just as long as I can share the connection and then put away the iPad or still be able to use, I'm good. And I'm able to do that right now.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
just confirmed with apple, if the screen goes off on the ipad, and step out of range, when you come back to range, you have to turn on the ipad, in order to connect the iphone and get it to work. more of a coldspot if you ask me, but hey, like the racer411 guy said, connect manually ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.