Verizon hotspot: On contract or month to month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Schlotkins, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Schlotkins macrumors newbie

I haven't found any info on this but one of the nice things about the AT&T tethering is you can use it only the months you need it. I haven't figured out if this is the same on Verizon. It appears as if you need to sign a 2 year contract with the hotspot rather than the ability to just use it in particular months.

Does anyone know for sure?

THanks,
    Chris

2. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

3. Schlotkins thread starter macrumors newbie

Excellent - thanks!

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

One MacRumors article mentions this:
    So it almost sounds like when you activate it you are going to have to pay a fee. This might not make it so attractive to turn off and on at will. I don't know the details, I am just guessing based on what the article says.

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Wow! That is crazy. I wonder if it is a one time thing or they would do that if I had it on for a few months then turned it off for a few months then turned it back on. Would they sock you with the fee again?

Not that I'm concerned as I'm sticking with ATT and I know they don't do that as I can turn on and off tethering month to month.

6. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

I don't think the $35 activation fee applies to this. I've turned on/off mobile hotspot on my Droid Incredible several times and never incurred any charge.

However, if it DOES cost $35 to turn this on/off, it would be good to know that in the beginning :)

7. Onthelo macrumors regular

Onthelo

month to month i have truned it on and off as well when needed for my ipad..

8. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't even know this could be done. Although I use tethering mostly when I'm traveling (because somehow the hotel I stay at almost ALWAYS has crap wifi), I seem to travel once a month now, so there's no point in deactivating and reactivating.

Still good to see this can be an option.