Verizon Incentives for AT&T iPhone Customers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Young Turk, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Is Verizon offering AT&T customers incentives to break contract and switch?

2. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

A potentially better voice network, based upon your location? That's about it. They don't owe switchers anything, in my opinion.

3. Young Turk thread starter macrumors 6502

Must be why reports say lines were short

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It has nothing to do with "owing," and everything to do with inciting. That is a huge difference.

Verizon is offering AT&T iPhone trade-ins.

5. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

At least in my area, Verizon vs AT&T means you can walk into a building and use your phone.

6. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Same in my area. Hell, you get signal underground (tunnels, subways) in my area.

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

The trade-in program did not start specifically for the iPhone 4 on Verizon though, so that is not an incentive either. I didn't say owing is the same as inciting. There is just no need for Verizon to offer incentives.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You are correct here. Unfortunately, it's still the only thing they are offering.

They why bring up, "They don't owe switchers anything"? :confused:

Incentives would absolutely make more people switch. That being said, I'm sure they did the market research and discovered if incentives would be a good investment or not. Being there aren't any incentives, I'm assuming they figured out that incentives would cost them more than it was worth.

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

simple they offer a choice now you can have your iPhone on AT&T or Verizon. so weigh and balance and choose. Choice or freedom is the only incentive they should offer.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I just remembered this. The unlimited data at Verizon is an incentive. It's a temporary promotion that will go away.

Verizon to Offer iPhone With $30 Unlimited Data Plan

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

The reason I am test driving a Verizon phone is because of my wife and kids. They were at the mall couple weeks ago and our older son was checking out a Droid x. The rep started talking to my wife and he said he can offer good incentive to switch saving $$$. My wife got home and said to give the rep a call. When my wife here's about saving $$$ she gets serious.

I called the rep a couple days later and he offered a nice deal. But it wouldn't save me money each month. I can basically switch to Verizon and ETF from AT&T would be covered. Now if he would offer additional credit off monthly bill that is significant I would consider.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Each carrier has its positives and negatives.

While ATT has long been the favorite whipping boy for iPhone owners, I've found their coverage in my area to be excellent and on par with VZW. For me, its less about what ATT has to offer over VZW since they're about equal. Instead I look for the best deal

13. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

are you kidding me, verizon offered AT&T customers a lot to switch.

1. Higher pricing plans
    2. 4 times slower data speeds
    3. Sell them the same phone, they already owned
    4. Cripple native features available on the iphone, due to their backward network.
    5. Element of uncertainty on whether a new phone is coming out in june.

14. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

1. You get more with the higher price.
    2. My data speeds are faster or equivalent to my old AT&T speeds on the iPhone 4. Not to mention, I can actually use the data, because I've got decent signal.
    3. Alright, you got me there.
    4. The only feature I know that's "crippled" is simultaneous voice and data, which I believe is a feature, not features as you say. Other than that, it's the same phone, with the addition of Mobile Hot Spot, which AT&T does not yet have (I am aware that it is coming.).
    5. I don't think there's any uncertainty. The current Verizon phone has a GSM chip in it. It's obvious the next one will too, and it will be a combined device, or at least the same internals with a different antenna for the other network. No way would Apple not upgrade both networks. The only way they would not release a Verizon iPhone this June is if they didn't release a GSM one either.

15. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

What more do you get? Do you get to roll over your minutes? Do you get unlimited mobile-2-mobile?
    You could give me the whole, verizon has broader coverage. But honestly I live in major metro. area. When I travel I only go to large towns.

I only have to direct you to the multiple threads on this forum where Verizon has slower data speeds. And again not an issue unless your living in rural communites.

Simultaneous data and voice is huge. There are many times when I'm scheduling a meeting, and I need access to google calendar, or txt, or reference an email, or look up a drug while on a phone call.

Tethering is already available via JB, and is quite simple to use.

Verizon execs and apple could have easily come out and said "there will/will not be no new Iphone on verizon in 4 months. Instead they chose to leave it up to the consumer to decide to get the phone now and risk it, or just wait.

I would have loved to switch to verizon. But when I started looking at costs, features, data speeds, and weighing them against cons (occasional dropped call). It was a no brainer.

I am glad the phone is on verizon. I love the competition and the choice. I just think if Verizon was serious, they could have done a lot better.

16. Orion126 macrumors regular

If you want to switch your AT&T iPhone for a Verizon iPhone you can always sell it to Ebay. Currently they are paying about $400 for iPhone 4 - 16 GB.

17. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

apparently you get a "happy ending" if you switch

18. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Really ? Remember the $100 price drop of the 1st gen iPhone in the 1st couple of months, and how anngry the early adoptors were?
    If Apple release a new Verizon iPhone in June, EVERYBODY who just bought a Verizon iPhone will be be bitching and moaning. Frankly I don't see it myself, but I am not saying it won't happen. Your statement is pretty bold. Apple could very well release an AT&T iphone in the summer without a new Verizon iPhone, and it makes total sense in a business marketing strategy for both Apple and AT&T.

19. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I see a price drop of a couple hundred being much different that a new version - a new version which based on the history of the device otherwise is due out soon.

EDIT : Especially since you can help recover your "losses" by selling the old when when the new one comes out.

Couldn't do that with the original iPhone and price drop.

20. mreg376 macrumors 65816

mreg376

Getting rid of AT&T.

21. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I'm going to check with the VZW manager today. We have 4 lines... 1 phone with ETF of $275 and 3 non smartphones with a total ETF of $270.

The VZW said he can make it work where all ETF can be taken of. But it's not necessarily an incentive because in my case it would cost me to get 4 phones with new service from a new carrier.

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have unlimited data with AT&T but if I had a 2gb cap, I would be flocking to the Verizon store for an iPhone

2gb cap...what a joke

23. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I never understood this line of thinking. Sure it's probably nice to know you can't go over a data cap, but I feel like I'm on my phone A LOT and I've yet to ever go over 1.25 GB. The data isn't useful enough to make this my only access point to the Internet, and it's incredibly hard on your eyes to stare at the iPhone's tiny text for hours on end. I've already noticed my eyes being strained and I don't have unlimited data.

24. aneftp macrumors 601

I agree 2GB for $25 is a complete joke on ATT. Compared to $30 for unlimited, it's a rip off. But ATT is in it for profits, same as Verizon.

All carriers in the US will eventually move to tiered data pricing soon. I think Tmobile USA used to have a 10GB "soft cap" before they throttled your speed to EDGE. Now I believe it's around 5GB "soft cap".

Verizon has "unlimited" but that will soon change. They've even gone on record saying tiered data pricing is coming.

The issue is how much to charge for data. Carriers want to maximize profits. Consumers want a "good" deal.

So what's a "fair deal?"

To me 500MB for $15, 2GB for $20, $30 for 5GB with $10 for each additional 1GB you go over. But that's me and not the bean counters.

Americans will have to get used to losing "unlimited".

I don't think other non-US countries have "unlimited" iPhone plans anymore? Or do they still offer unlimited in Europe and Asia and Australia?

25. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

One of my classmates received her undergraduate degree in Australia (at the U of Melbourne). She claims that there's no such thing as unlimited internet in Australia, even for desktop or notebook computers. She claims that she'd have to ration her internet usage when studying so that she'd have enough to get everything done. She'd also have to modify the way images were retrieved to minimize the data coming through with each page. Someone else in class said this in coming to Canada now too, and that it's being talked about in the USA.

Anyone from Australia care to confirm or refute this?