Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Twintrbo

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2016
did anyone get the Verizon insurance offered on the IPhone X?

Curious on thoughts of Verizon protection bs Apple care? Verizon seems cheaper but you lose the Apple support part.

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I read an article somewhere recently that said the Verizon protection was much cheaper and working days the same. I ended up getting it. First time ever for insurance. But I would have killed myself if I dropped $1200 on a phone and then accidentally dropped it.

NemesisR6

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
I thought about it, but after further research the deductible on the Verizon protection plan (through Asurion) is $199 for every incident. If you factor in the $11/month cost, over the course of two years you would pay a minimum of $463 for just claiming one incident for repair/replacement.

For Apple Care+, you pay $200 up front and $29 for screens and $99 for anything else. Assuming the same scenario as above, you'd pay $229-299 over the course of those same 2 years.

If you have a second incident in that time frame, it's $664 for Verizon's plan vs. $258-398 for Apple Care+. None of these scenarios factor in taxes.

Even if you go incident free, the Verizon plan is still more expensive ($264 vs. $200).

The only time it becomes possibly more advantageous for the Verizon plan is if you have more than two incidents, as Apple Care + wouldn't cover you beyond that.

cashlion

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
Every Apple support person I've spoken with, Genius Bar attendee and those that run their own shop, have said AppleCare+ is the way to go. It costs more but the replacements are always of better quality when compared to those sent out by the carriers. I used to go with AT&T's insurance and had issues with multiple replacements I received from them.

Patrick G

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I thought about it, but after further research the deductible on the Verizon protection plan (through Asurion) is $199 for every incident.
Are you sure about that? I thought the deductible for a screen repair/replacement was much less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.