Verizon Internet Security? (Don't Ever Buy it!)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cpup, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Cpup macrumors member

I'm running Verizon Internet Security on my MacBook as Security and I UNINSTALLED Family Protection (it is SO STUPID) and now when I go online it is popping up that it is still blocking me from the internet. I tried to use Verizon for help, but those bimbos didn't know a thing (They don't even have support for it on their website :scoff:) Can anyone help me to get rid ofthis stupid thing!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would never even consider installing any software from Verizon. They don't really provide support for Macs anyway. You may need to wipe and re-install osx to get rid of it. These programs tend to mess things up and don't really provide any protection.

3. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Verizon? They're a cellphone company first and foremost, and they can't even get THAT right. IMO you should have known better.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...most security suites are a PITA in some form or another... do your research first before installing anything...

5. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

A lot of security software is slow and sluggish. You should definitely check out reviews before installing anything like that.

6. GGA27 macrumors newbie

Same thing here

I spent hours with the techs on the phones and they are pure idiots.
    I will be fighting with them for awhile.
    I refuse to pay for their mess.

Let me know if you have any progress

7. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

why would you put any security or virus software on your mac??? not needed and wastes space...

8. Cpup thread starter macrumors member

You are so right, those bimbos. I can't get rid of it. I'm gonna uninstall the whole thing and then I'll get ClamX or whatever it is called. I heard it is good.:apple:

Cpup

9. Astiees macrumors newbie

I have successfully deleted mine.

I did this with mine so I know it works!

There might be a different order possible but to be on the safe side this is exactly what I did. DO NOT DO UNLESS YOU HAVE OS X INSTALL DISK that lets you do a NONDESTRUCTIVE install! (Mine is 2009, Leopard 10.5.5)

1. Go to applications/Utilities/Terminal
    2. Once in Terminal type sudo rm -rf (LEAVE A SPACE or MAKE ONE at the END of that code. (DO NOT HIT RETURN YET)
    3. Drag the locked Family protection app from your applications folder into terminal. (Essentially this is just copying the name of the file so terminal knows what to delete)
    4. Hit return.
    5. Terminal will ask for your password, type your password.
    6. Hit return.
    7. Repeat steps 2 thru 4.

Make sure to follow instructions carefully, I know because I made little mistakes the first time I tried...But I promise this worked for me.

IMPORTANT:
    8.Then to get rid of the Filter thats still imbedded somewhere in your system. Run your OS install disk and do an UN-derstructive re-install of system. (The one that keeps your applications and Files in place and does NOT erase all of your stuff! This will be sufficient to remove the filter.)

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Or why don't you just chill out with the antivirus because its useless on macs anyway?

11. Fast/Furious macrumors regular

Fast/Furious

Agreed... most antivirus programs are relatively useless and un-needed on the Mac. I've been using my Mac for a month now without an antivirus program, and no problems at all! Whereas if I'd been using my old Windows laptop for that long without antivirus, my computer would literally have caught fire from the intense viral assault :p

12. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

The only viruses you need to worry about on macs are security suites...

13. Astiees macrumors newbie

It was a stupid error in judgement on my part that I realized about as soon as it was installed...I won't make that mistake again. McAfee is supposed to call me back even though I have it fixed I am curious to whether they could even come up with anything to help me. HA! Glad I fixed it. I hope that at least for those that do get duped into installing that they will have an app to remove their products for mac just like they already do for PC. It is apparently the best product they ever made lol. Still don't trust it though >.>

I still have my PC covered with them though cuz even though I <3 my PC lets face it PC's need what help they can get. However I was Able to install the virus protection etc. without the dreadful Family Protection. *Shivers*