Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Businesses have to make money, yes, but this isn't the nicest way of doing so. Then again, why should they care how people feel? All that matters is the money.

If they really cared, they would spend money on new towers (not upgrading old towers) so I could actually use T-Mobile :(.

Slowly but surely.

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
Buying from Verizon's online site or in their stores, if you buy your phone at full price, or use their device payment program you'll pay a $20 upgrade free. If you use a 2-year contract upgrade you'll pay $40. At the Apple store, if you use Apple's completely separate iPhone upgrade program, you will pay a $20 upgrade free. If you buy the phone at full price, you won't have an upgrade fee.

Thanks for the explanation. This does sounds like they are trying to push people into paying full for their phone.

Fafafoooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
USA
F Verizon. More reason to stay with T-Mobile and another reason on my list to never sign up with Verizon.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
so if i pull the sim card out of my phone, and put it in a new phone that i paid for 100% retail price. they charge me $20?

auriconis

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
NJ
so if i pull the sim card out of my phone, and put it in a new phone that i paid for 100% retail price. they charge me $20?

It seems like that depends on where you buy the phone. If you buy said phone from Verizon, then yes, they still do. Even if you pay them full price. Yet another reason I got rid of them. Plus I got sick of paying the "we are Verizon" tax.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
So you'd rather have another monthly regulatory compliance recovery fee? I don't think we can win other than jumping between carriers.

While not perfect, the government was able to regulate what fees credit cards and prepaid cards were able to charge, and it helped. Not perfect, but it did get rid of a lot of cards and fees that were objectively bad for consumers. Clearly the telecom companies are incapable of policing themselves and giving us strait-forward and transparent prices, maybe the government should step in. I doubt it would be perfect, but it's better than nothing.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
This infuriates me. We're already paying sales tax on phones that if you turn them in early, say after 1 year, you're paying sales tax on the entire retail cost, but if you turn it in for a new phone, you pay sales tax on that new phone but don't get a credit for the previous portion of sales tax You didn't pay on the remainder of the retail you owe. Now they want $20 on top of that.

I've been a firm beleiver we should pay sales tax on the monthly payment instead of all upfront cause who knows when you'll turn the phone in. This is why I pay the phone off and sell it on eBay or some third party so I get what the phone is worth back, and pocket that cash rather than just give Verizon what I paid for already. It's silly to turn it in, when it's so easy to just pay it off. I get more money back than what I owe every time, usually enough to pay for the sales tax and now this stupid fee.

Reactions: auriconis

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
So what are their support costs when I buy the phone myself and activate it myself with no rep involvement? I mean maybe charge the fee if it is done in a store (still BS), but to customers that do everything themselves, it's just a money grab.

Too bad T-Mobile is not an option where I live.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
At least they're not charging the fee for "customer supplied equipment." So perhaps those who buy the phone at retail in an Apple Store then go home to swap SIM cards won't be charged the $20 fee.

But this is making me really think about T-Mobile. I worry about diminished coverage which is why I tend to stick with Verizon, but with the availablility of wifi calling on T-Mobile, perhaps this is less of an issue...

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
It seems they should charge the fee, when you call in if you've never paid it. but if you are simply swapping out a sim from your old phone to your new phone should not cause an upgrade fee.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2011
Buying from Verizon's online site or in their stores, if you buy your phone at full price, or use their device payment program you'll pay a $20 upgrade free. If you use a 2-year contract upgrade you'll pay $40. At the Apple store, if you use Apple's completely separate iPhone upgrade program, you will pay a $20 upgrade free. If you buy the phone at full price, you won't have an upgrade fee.

Did you not read the post? Full retail=$20.

Reactions: mikeydeezy

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Hmm... I checked recently and T-Mobile coverage in my area is just as good as anybody else. I guess I need to visit their site before buying my iPhone SE tomorrow. I have never cared much for being ripped off. Some companies just never learn I guess.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I can see John Legere initiating a new $15 cashback program if you upgrade from your current Verizon phone to a new T-Mobile phone.
[doublepost=1459442898][/doublepost]
I have never cared much for being ripped off. Some companies just never learn I guess.

The law of demand will make them learn.

Reactions: Dirtyharry50

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I remember when ATM's were free to use because it saved the banks money because they didn't have to pay a teller (proper vernacular for that time) to perform the transaction. Now the banks charge fees on ATM use for the same reason airlines keep jacking up their rates and Verizon is adding this fee - because they can. Until people stop buying their products (won't happen), it will continue.

I also agree with what someone said above...T-Mobile has no fee but I can't trust to have service when I travel because their coverage is lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.