Verizon ip4; world phone or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamaggic, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jamaggic macrumors member

As the pics released on Tuesday seem to show a sim card slot, has anyone heard whether or not this cdma ip4 is also capable of GSM operation??:confused:

2. NKT macrumors regular

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

No, it's CDMA only. From Verizon's tech specs page for their iPhone 4:

Screen shot 2011-01-12 at 9.36.15 AM.png

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If CDMA is worldwide, then yes, but we know that the world is for the most part on GSM. Given the phone is not dual band, only means that it will only work on CDMA.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, this was the biggest surprise and disappointment of yesterday's announcement.

7. redcupr macrumors member

redcupr

So, what do you all think the chances are of the next iPhone release (presumably in June/July) being a dual radio phone, CDMA/GSM? Then Apple wouldn't have to build two seperate units for AT&T and Verizon. It would just be a matter of each carrier activating the radio that works on their network.

8. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

No, not a world phone.
    Also, you can't view Maps while on a call...

Another reason why not to get the Verizon iPhone 4

9. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Doubtful. They could have done so in this version...the radios exist already and are mature and they didn't have to wait. They decided not to do it.

I think it's unfortunate but now that they have decided on manufacturing a separate CDMA-only unit it looks like "world" functionality will come to verizon only when LTE is advanced enough for all carriers to once again get one phone that works everywhere.

10. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

Yeah, a disappointment for sure.

I'm not sure this phone is shaping up to be the win that everyone thought it was going to be.

11. NKT macrumors regular

You can view maps, if you're on WiFi or have the map data cached. You just cannot download new map data if you're on 3G only. It's very similar to if you're on a call while in EDGE coverage.

12. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

If it is a Apple phone that actually makes and receives calls, it will be a win. :p

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Nobody said anything about Wi-Fi or EDGE, it's pretty obvious I was talking about Verizon's 3G network not allowing you to do that :rolleyes:

14. Oilbrnr macrumors 6502

Then don't get one. What part of that is so difficult for you to grasp? :rolleyes:

15. NKT macrumors regular

There are quite a few who wouldn't get your connection and it needs to be spelled out explicitly. That's how they get confused.

And the other point I was making is, there are a lot of iPhone users who currently have the same network experience that VZW users will have (no simultaneous voice/data on EDGE).

16. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I never said I was going to get one...
    What part of that don't you get? :rolleyes:

I simply answered the OP's question

17. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What's worse is for some reason Leo Laporte decided to browse to Verizon's website, click the link to the Apple store, then proceed to read the specs of the GSM iPhone and tell everyone it was a worldphone.

Pissed me off later to find out he was wrong. I like him but I really don't have nice things to say about that stupid move. Why didn't he just follow the presentation????

18. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Well, Verizon's own site was wrong during the presentation. They had simply copied and pasted the existing information from Apple's site to create their own iPhone 4 details pages without bothering to change the cellular radio info to reflect that it's a CDMA version. If Leo had been looking at this during the event, it's understandable that he would have made this error, though I would have thought he would have openly questioned that during the podcast (which I have not yet listened to).

19. themadrussian macrumors regular

There are CDMA networks in Canada, Mexico, some places in South America, most of the Caribbean, a few East Asian countries, and a few countries scattered about eastern Europe and Africa.

The Verizon iPhone 4 will only roam on those networks.

You can find networks here: http://www.cdg.org/worldwide/