Verizon iPad 2 may require activation fee

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jreuschl, Mar 7, 2011.

1. jreuschl macrumors 6502

The Verizon iPad 1 bundle with mifi apparently required a $35 activation fee at start, plus that fee if you stoppped/restarted the data plan after 6 months. Someone on Apple support forums called Verizon and they said it would be the same way for the iPad 2.

I would hope they would change this, otherwise a huge advantage goes to AT&T unless you always plan on subscribing.

2. Saberj macrumors regular

Well, that will be making my decision easier, if true.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Even if true, I'm not sure a $35 difference is a huge advantage/disadvantage on a $500 to $829 device. Certainly something to consider, but not a big deal IMHO. I'd think the GSM vs. CDMA advantage/disadvantages as well as coverage differences in the areas you'd be using the device would be much more important factors to consider.

4. jreuschl thread starter macrumors 6502

Sure it can be a disadvantage for some. If Verizon tacks on a $35 fee if you turn off the data and resubscribe months later, then your $20+ plan almost tripled.

5. Saberj macrumors regular

No matter what the total cost was, I don't like throwing away money. And when both options are still on the table, obviously none of the other pros/cons have swayed you yet, so this can be a big deal. Unfortunately, this isn't the thing you realize until you get home, and start activation. At which point, it may be too late to switch out for a GSM model if they sell out.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'll grant you that if Verizon were to do something like that, requiring an activation fee every time you restart a stopped prepaid data subscription, that would be a significant thing.

I'd be really surprised if they did that though. See the sixth post here: http://community.vzw.com/t5/Other-A...ion-fee-every-time-you-enable-data/m-p/457388

7. Saberj macrumors regular

The original post said if you turn it off for 6 months.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Right... and I'd be surprised if they required a new activation fee for the same person for the same device. I can't say the definitively won't, but I've also not seen anyone post a link showing VZW's policy that they will.

9. Davichi macrumors 6502

For some yes, but not for everyone.

35 dollars isn't that much to consider from 500-829 dollars device. If you are worried about 35 dollars cost with 529-829 dollars device, you are being cheap or shouldn't even buy one.

10. Pocketsidewalk macrumors newbie

Verizon's website doesn't provide much info about the iPad 2 which seems strange to me considering it will be available in 4 days.

They have a blurb on their home page about the iPad 2, but if you click the "Learn More" button you get a page where you can provide your email address to "get updates on the second generation Verizon connected iPad".

11. Saberj macrumors regular

I think how much you paid for the device is a moot point. It's the services that you are comparing. Just because I paid that mouch for an iPad doesn't mean I want to pay unnecessary fees to the electric company for the electric I'm using to charge it, or to the case makers who make the case I'm buying. You are assuming people have already made up their mind, and the $35 should change that opinion. I'm saying that the $35 should be a factor that goes into making that opinion. Much like the cost of the plan itself, and the amount of data you are getting for that cost.

12. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

if I have to pay $35 bucks every time I turn my data on and off that's just bull$h!!. $800 device or not, nickel and diming customers like that is bad business.

VZW will learn it's lesson when iPad GSM outsells iPad CDMA 5 to 1.

13. mwjd299 macrumors regular

I could see me not using the 3G service for 6 months. I will not pay an extra $35 every time I want 3G. If I get iPad2 3G it will not be Verizon.

14. jreuschl thread starter macrumors 6502

I think it would mirror what Verizon is doing with the Xoom. There's conflicting info because originally Verizon was going to require everyone to buy a month just to unlock the Wifi, but now they do not, so it isn't clear if they still charge the activation if you do want the data.

A post here states a Verizon rep told them there is an activation fee for turning data on/off:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-xoom/252376-verizon-plan-fees-questions.html#post2386349

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Anyone have any links supporting the OP's claim?

Best I found was http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/65719-first-verizon-bill-64-a-2.html where it's clarified that there's difference between suspending the data plan vs cancelling it.

Edit: just saw jreushcl's post above mine. Even so, I've run into enough clueless customer svc reps that I question what they say whichever direction it goes.

Although I know this is MR, where megathreads get started on simple speculation, it would be nice if there was some substantiation before everyone gets their panties in a wad.

16. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

That would be ridiculous, not that I'd buy anything but a Wi-Fi version anyway.

17. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

WOW. I seriously hope that is not true and they clarify this before the release. I have a Verizon iPhone and was going to for sure get the Verizon iPad 2 but if I have to pay ANY $35 fee to activate or re-activate the data on the iPad they can KMA and I'll be getting a AT&T iPad 2.

18. Saberj macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure that if you are already a Verizon subscriber that you won't be seeing an activation fee. I could be wrong, but I think this is only for new subscribers. But I guess in theory it probably uses an entirely different system, since it is pre-pay.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just confirmed this with a sales rep. Each and every time you want data with Verizon you have to pay the activation fee. Lets say you take a month of. The next month you pay 35 + data cost. Obviously they are keeping this info hush hush so they can screw the launch day purchasers who assume that activation fees are a one-time thing.

20. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

Thank goodness I live on these forums and research the hell out of anything I buy or I would have been pissed off to find out after the fact. Thanks for confirming. AT&T 3G iPad 2 for this Verizon user.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think Verizon will change this soon. However, I'd certainly not want to get a Verizon iPad and gamble on that assumption.

22. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

How many people would really go through the trouble of buying a plain WiFi iPad along with Verizon MiFi, but then stop and start data every other month.

It's no different than wanting to stop and start data on an iPhone every other month.

(Not that it wouldn't be nice to be able to do that, as well. But thanks to Apple's and other high subsidies, the days of optional data plans are long gone.)

23. jvdrummer182 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I can also verify the $35 activation fee every time you cancel a month to month plan and start up again. I am an employee at best buy mobile and have gotten many questions from customers regarding this. I have also contacted our Verizon representative to confirm this. If you cancel a monthly data plan, 30 days later you are considered a new customer and would be required to pay a $35 activation fee. However, I am assuming Verizon will amend their policy in order to compete with Att's lack of activation fees for month to month data

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

This is sad but also funny. So many people were touting VZW as a better company, not just more reliable wireless. I can't see any reason to buy a VZW iPad w/ this info. It would be better to just tether w/ iPhone.

25. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

If they don't come out and say it in plain english and black and white BEFORE Friday then they will lose a lot of potential sales, myself included.