iPad Verizon iPad 3 in Canada

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mastercacher, Jun 6, 2013.

1. mastercacher macrumors newbie

I am taking a trip to Canada later this summer. I currently have a Verizon iPad 3 (from spring 2012). I believe this iPad, despite being on Verizon, does have a GSM radio that should work on Canadian carriers. (in addition to its CDMA radio for Verizon).

I am trying to figure out the best method to get service in Canada. How do I go about doing this? Ideally, I'd just like to either go into an Apple store or carrier store in Canada, buy a SIM card, put it in the iPad, select a plan, and be off. But from reading on the Apple support forums, it seems like I maybe need a Canadian credit card number to pull this off (I live in the US). If they let me buy a SIM, will it just work in the iPad or will I have to fiddle with the network settings to make it work?

Also, if any Canadian Apple fans know, which Canadian carrier has the best coverage in the Alaska Highway area? I know it's basically the middle of nowhere and a dead zone, but I wasn't sure if anyone had some kind of coverage there!

Thanks!

2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

3. mikeoui macrumors regular

I moved to Quebec City in January for graduate school and it was a huge hassle setting up my phone. I had an iPhone 4 and just needed a sim on a Canadian carrier but it was next to impossible without a Canadian credit card. Depending on the length of your trip and how badly you need your iPad, it would probably be easier to look into an international data plan through Verizon.

4. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I was just in Canada. Without a Canadian cc it was really impossible to get an ipad data plan.