Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I just got a message on my Verizon iPad 3 that I've burned through 2GB of mobile data about 1 1/2 weeks into my billing cycle. The thing is, I don't think it's left my home in that period. I leave it connected to wifi at home and most of my data usage is streaming audio and some streaming video. Most of the time I'm using it less than 10ft from my wireless router so it can't be a signal strength issue and I never have this problem on my IP4. Is this a hardware defect? It would suck to have to constantly switch mobile data on and off.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
I just got a message on my Verizon iPad 3 that I've burned through 2GB of mobile data about 1 1/2 weeks into my billing cycle. The thing is, I don't think it's left my home in that period. I leave it connected to wifi at home and most of my data usage is streaming audio and some streaming video. Most of the time I'm using it less than 10ft from my wireless router so it can't be a signal strength issue and I never have this problem on my IP4. Is this a hardware defect? It would suck to have to constantly switch mobile data on and off.

Though a little inconvenient, if you're concerned disable your ipads cellular data off to ensure it's not using your data plan. Though if this is happening apple does need to fix this.

iCrosoft

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
You need to shut off your cellular data otherwise you will be charged for usage regardless of being connected to wifi simultaneously.

You can bring this up with your cellular provider and see if they'll give you a credit for this honest mistake.

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
You need to shut off your cellular data otherwise you will be charged for usage regardless of being connected to wifi simultaneously.

Is this accurate? I usually turn LTE off when I get home (just to save battery) - but I had no idea that the default was to use OTA data rather than WiFi - that seems so...counter-intuitive...

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
You can generally tell whether you are using wifi or cellular data by looking at the status icon.

My experience is that if wifi is available, you don't use cellular data. I've seen this when my cable modem service has gone out, and I had to disable wifi to use the iPad or phone, since it will still try to use the router.

Maybe the OP's wifi signal is poor.

One possibility I haven't researched is whether, if you have an active cellular connection, then connect to wifi, whether the app can change over to wifi. Since your IP address would change during this, maybe the cellular data would continue for a period of time.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012

You can bring this up with your cellular provider and see if they'll give you a credit for this honest mistake.

Don't think so. At least it doesn't work that way for me. When I am home and connected to wifi, my cellular data usage does not change. If I go to a part of the house where my wifi is weak, then it flips over, and when I move back to a strong wifi area, it flips back.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
You can generally tell whether you are using wifi or cellular data by looking at the status icon.

Looking at the Apple support forums it appears the wifi indicator looks fine but there's no connection. People with wifi only iPad 3's are complaining about it. If you have LTE it will fall back on that which obviously sucks since you're burning mobile data without knowing it. My IP4 never does this when I stream connected to the same wifi router. Most of the time I'm streaming literally 3ft from the wifi router so I seriously doubt it's a signal issue.

I just called Verizon and they're giving me another 1.5GB free. I'll reset the data counter and see if I'm burning mobile data while connected to wifi.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Is this accurate? I usually turn LTE off when I get home (just to save battery) - but I had no idea that the default was to use OTA data rather than WiFi - that seems so...counter-intuitive...

No, it isn't right. LTE isn't on if you aren't using it.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
No, it isn't right. LTE isn't on if you aren't using it.

Pretty sure it is on if you have mobile data turned on in settings. You get the LTE/3G signal bars even if you're using wifi (or think you are in my case...) Works the same way on the iPhone.

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Yikes, I always keep my Cellular Data off if I am going to be using it on Wifi only. It does make sense to me though that if wifi signal is real poor then it would automatically switch to the data connection. It would be nice if they alerted you the first few times that happens though. Make it a bit more apparent what is happening.

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Pretty sure it is on if you have mobile data turned on in settings. You get the LTE/3G signal bars even if you're using wifi (or think you are in my case...) Works the same way on the iPhone.

Ok - this is incorrect.

On the iPhone - I keep WiFi and cellular data on ALL the time. When I'm at home or at work, my phone automatically connects to the WiFi and my cellular data is not used (even though it's still turned "on").

I suspect this is the same way it works on the iPad. My iPad shows "Verizon" in the corner (when cellular data is on) - but if I'm connected to a WiFi network, it uses that for all of it's data.

EDIT - keep in mind, if you don't have it set to automatically connect to a WiFi network - then it will default to cellular data (even if you have WiFi set to "on")...

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007

No it's not. Make wifi your default connection and when it's connected, verizon LTE is not running. If your wifi drops while you are using bandwidth, then, sure, you may blow through a lot of bandwidth quickly because LTE is really fast and it can consume a lot of bandwidth quickly. Turn off your cellular service and only turn it on when you are mobile and need it for low bandwidth tasks like downloading email.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
No it's not. Make wifi your default connection and when it's connected, verizon LTE is not running.

We're just arguing semantics at this point but mobile data is connected when it's turned on in settings. iOS just uses wifi instead of mobile data when both are turned on and connected. It works that way on the iPhone and iPad.

To update the thread I did some testing with my iPhone and iPad were both using mobile data in the background when connected to my Linksys router. I have a second broadband connection and both devices only used 1/4 as much background mobile data when using it (20-30MB vs. 100-120MB a day.) So I'll just toggle off mobile data at home on my iPad since I don't need any "help" using up my 2GB of LTE data per month.

evanavevan

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I just ran into this same problem with my VZ iPad 3. Bought some data and it's been gone even though device has been at home the entire time. Called VZ and they said you have to turn off cellular data, otherwise it will still use LTE.

It makes no sense though, and is not consistent. I know what's causing it is when my 4 year old streams kids shows through an app, but looking at the usage it only uses LTE some of the times that I know for a fact she's watching. She uses it within 5-10 feet of an Airport Express too so the signal should be fine.

I'm really confused by this, and pretty annoyed. VZ was unwilling to give me any credit though. Any updates on the underlying issue? OP said something about a thread on Apple Support but I can't find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.